Cedar Arbor.

Bryan Cowing

Our budget metal arbor rusted away where it meets the sidewalk. Having some cedar cull hanging around the shop for 4 years, thought I could find a free plan that would work.
arbor-lede-0607.jpgPopular Mechanics plan! nice! and it's free!

IMG_4618.JPG Glued up overlapping 20" segments of 2x6 cedar, cut 22.5 degrees

IMG_4620.JPGslider made trimming the ends square easy, at 46" wide the arbor just makes it through the blade

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPGnailing on the lattice pcs

IMG_4624.JPGI bought 10 ft cedar 4x4 posts, longest I could find at lumber yards, making each one 60", 2" short of the plan :huh:. I will reduce the cross lattice pieces spacing by a 1/4" so they don't over run the post length.

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4629.JPGtest fit, but have concerns arbor may be too narrow for it's location

I'm thinking of making new arches, 57" wide, 50" inside width, in an oval shape. Arbor needs to be wide enough for two people to pass side by side ( Wife's elderly customers need assistance). The current inside width of 40" is a bit tight.

Last edited:
Bryan, have you considered cutting a piece from the center of the arches and adding a longer section?

You can simply cut the arch in half vertically and add a straight 17" section
--- or ---
cut it horizontally taking the top section off, add in a new wider top section and recreate a new arch (hope that makes sense, hard to explain without a sketch)

Bryan, have you considered cutting a piece from the center of the arches and adding a longer section?

You can simply cut the arch in half vertically and add a straight 17" section
--- or ---
cut it horizontally taking the top section off, add in a new wider top section and recreate a new arch (hope that makes sense, hard to explain without a sketch)
I have thought of that too, but a wider arch is in the works, have it drawn on the bench using the oval string method, just need the time to cut pieces and glue them up! Saturday's shop time!:thumb::thumb: I may have to build another set of the legs! So I can use up the arch! :doh:

Wife's customers??? Hey, set that new one out for sale!
That is a top notch job!
Could you tell me more about the lower shelf/tray (where the glue bottle seems to be) on the front of your workbench? Does it have a specific function? I am afraid in my shop it would collect clutter.

Wife's customers??? Hey, set that new one out for sale!
That is a top notch job!
Could you tell me more about the lower shelf/tray (where the glue bottle seems to be) on the front of your workbench? Does it have a specific function? I am afraid in my shop it would collect clutter.
what you are seeing as my
workbench is actually a stroke sander. Electric lift 3x8 table is so handy! see avatar:wave:

You are obviously not a stranger in your well equiped shop.
You did a beautiful job on the arbor, I'm sure your wife loves and appreciates.
When the metal one I bought years ago for my wife started showing rust I took the lazy, but expensive, way out. I had it sand blasted and powder coated. Hopefully, it will now last longer than us.

nice product bryan,

how is it working with white cedar, dust?

I was thinking about using some decking white cedar to make a few chairs.

Do you put anything like thompsons on that, spar urethane? or just leave it?

nice product bryan,

how is it working with white cedar, dust?

I was thinking about using some decking white cedar to make a few chairs.

Do you put anything like thompsons on that, spar urethane? or just leave it?
2x6 is Western red cedar from HD, probably from British Columbia. I think I will let it weather.

That is a looker. Very inspiring. What did you choose for your glue?
I have some indoor / outdoor glue, Elmers brand. Type 2 water resistant.