Dilemma

Tom Baugues

My whole weekend plans have come to a stand still. I needed to cut some trim pieces of walnut today. I need them to be 5/8" thick. My walnut stock is about 1 inch thick so I thought that I would re-saw it on my band saw. Well my 3/4 inch wide blade is worthless and has now found a new home in my dumpster :eek:....and...you guessed it...I don't have a replacement.:dunno: I have access to a planer at my dads house but that would really waste alot of wood. No one around me sells 105 inch blades so I would either need to mail order and wait or drive to Indianapolis tomorrow to buy a new blade at Woodcraft. Driving to Indy tomorrow was not in my plans...they have this little race going on tomorrow and traffic might be on the heavy side. :rofl: So...what to do.....

This will teach me to have extra blades on hand.

I break out in a cold sweat when I think about wasting nice wood but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and plane it.
You don't mention how wide you wood is. Maybe you could resaw it on your TS.

Watch the races?:

I live about an hour north of Indy. The race has ALWAYS been blacked out on TV here for us. Now if I drive another 15 minutes north the race is shown live on TV. So I have grown up listening to the race on the radio all my life. I have gone to the race a few times which is great but I usually just listen to it on the radio and then have to catch a late night replay of it on TV later that night.

I think I'm going to place an order tomorrow morning for band saw blades with Ellis Machinery as suggested here on the forum by Vaughn and others. I need a blade for resawing lumber up to about about 8 inches wide. I own the Grizzly 14" band saw (G0555X). The manual says it will accept up to 3/4" blades. I have read several places where people thought the 1/2" blade does a better job because it is thinner. The 3/4" is listed as a 4tpi skip tooth @0.32 and the 1/2 is listed as 3tpi hook tooth @ 0.25.

So from those of you that have experience resawing......what do you think is best?

Personally, I've had better results resawing on my 14" Shop Fox bandsaw with 1/2" blades than with 3/4" blades. And as much as I love the Ellis blades for most things, my favorite resaw blade is the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. They're overpriced in my opinion, especially compared to the Ellis blades, but they sure do leave a smooth cut compared to the 3 and 4 tpi resaw blades I've tried. But if you've got a planer, you're probably money ahead using a less expensive blade (like an Ellis) and planing the resawn surfaces smooth.