Light pull question

Dennis Kranz

I want to make up a couple of light pulls for my next show. I don't want to buy the kits that they have. My question is how do you make one with out there being a hole that shows from the bottom. The kits have a plug that they use. Also if there has to be a whole what do you use so that it's not so large as the one I left behind? I used the niles stopper mandrel.

Dennis

100_0927 (600 x 450).jpg

100_0928 (600 x 450).jpg

I think it's an m47 tap you can thread the end of a brass tube with and screw the fitting into. Or you could drill up to 1/4" of the end with a 3/8" bit the down the last 1/4" with a 3/32" for the chain exit and knot the chain in the bigger side and forget the fitting.

Doesn't need bottom hole, the chain comes from the top towards the ceiling fan.

But you would need to epoxy the chain in... if you have a bottom hole, you can drill a hole at the top just large enough for the chain to pass through, but a larger ball on the bottom of the chain, or a small washer to catch in the smaller hole... then either plug the bottom hole or a couple of drops of epoxy there.

But you would need to epoxy the chain in... if you have a bottom hole, you can drill a hole at the top just large enough for the chain to pass through, but a larger ball on the bottom of the chain, or a small washer to catch in the smaller hole... then either plug the bottom hole or a couple of drops of epoxy there.

Yep, wat I wuz thinkin' too. Hafta be epoxy to hold in. But, if chain ever needs replacing, and it happens, whole, nice pretty turned, knob might have to be tossed.

I like Jim's idea of using threading in some way.
  • You could turn a "hollow tenon" on the upper end, and screw on a cap of some kind.
  • You could drill a smaller hole in the end and screw in a cap of some kind.
Either way, you could make the hole in the cap large enough the pass the chain / string, but small enough to prevent the ball or knot on the end.

:dunno: