Bamboo Flooring

Jay Lock

Hi everyone Sorry for the abbreviated post, I guess I messed when I was editing/

So, is this stuff durable (Bart, would really like to hear more about your brother's experience)? Can it stand up to a desk chair, for example, rolling back and forth in a relatively confined area?

Jay

Last edited:
hey jay i have only seen asample so far but my daughter is having ity put in there bedroom the carbonised style and its sliced vertically. they done alot of research on it before getting it.. and they are nerds that way so i would have to say that it must be good stuff.. i did cut it on the tsaw and it cuts nicely.. not cheap but very durable.

Jay,

I have seen a few of these floors installed and they are said to be very highly durable. I know of one installation in an entry hall that has been in use of a few years without signs of major wear. Hope this helps.

I think there is a wide range in bamboo quality. We just installed 1200 SqFt. and are NOT happy with it. It seems to dent very easily and our 55 lb. dog has no trouble leaving claw gouges in it. These don't seem to be scratches in the finish but actual dents.
I had heard it was harder than oak but ours is softer that our redwood deck. We are exploring our options for replacement.

John, sorry to hear about your bad experience, any particulars on the brand/type of bamboo you installed. I read that the carbonized form is softer than the lighter colored stuff but clearly need more information!

Jay

I wouldn't recommend any hardwood finish under a desk chair. The wheels will pick up grit and dirt and it just like sandpaper on the finish. I don't think anything will last very long under a chair. I would plan on putting a mat under an office chair regardless of the wood.

Jeff
Who learned this the hard way

John, sorry to hear about your bad experience, any particulars on the brand/type of bamboo you installed. I read that the carbonized form is softer than the lighter colored stuff but clearly need more information!

Jay

The brand is Morning Star. It's a vertical natural. Got it from Lumber Liquidators.