And if you feel a little blue...

Jim Burr

Another piece from Mike, This one was screwed up from the word go. I wanted the vase shape, then when I saw the curl, I thought dye would be cool, so put on the black, sanded it down and did 4-5 applications of blue. Then a collar would look nice, so I ebonized some beech and put that on and glued it in...then I noticed some checking in the top...crud...it was still a little wet . Since I have dye and a collar on it DNA is out. I plastic wrapped it and poked a hole in the top. I unwrapped it a few days later and the cracks were nominal but the recess for the collar warped...so I cut a groove and filled it with turquoise. I'm turning off the tenon and Wammo...catch 1/3 of the way up...cut it down...re-dye and finish.

C&C used one the next one if I don't go back to just pens!!!!

Attachments

• blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 43
  • blue 2.jpg
    blue 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 41
  • blue 3.jpg
    blue 3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 46
And that's why I don't like to have a plan when I'm making something. :p Sometimes the piece of wood doesn't want to cooperate. Nice save, though. :thumb:

I felt obsessed...from start to plastic wrap was 3 hours:eek: then a week of drying in wrap...I never do that...:doh:. Usually it's "oh, maybe this or maybe that" Hope it doesn't happen again!:eek:

Jim, I get a piece like that now and then, and it's trying to tell me NO, not now or something..... I'm learning to respect the whole "murphy's laws and guide to going south", and to use an anger mgmt term, take a timeout!
Hey, it made it to the finish line. That counts in my book!:thumb::wave:
mj