Snakewood Elegant Beauty

James Lord

Had some time to squeeze in a few of personal pens to carry around. Here is one of them. It is a Wall Street II Elegant Beauty with a Snakewood blank with a CA finish. Assembled with Black Titanium & Platinum plated components. Took my time with this on as Snakewood is prone to crack easily. So far no cracks. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Snakewood Elegant Beauty Large Web view.jpg
    Snakewood Elegant Beauty Large Web view.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 81
Beautiful pen. :thumb: :thumb:

I made snakewood pen for myself a few years back. So far I've had to take it apart once to fill a crack. Just looked at it and I'll be darned if it's got a few more small cracks. I might just have to take it apart and refinish it one of these days. And it was supposedly 'guaranteed' not to crack...

It's worth it to me cause I just love the look of the wood.

Beautiful pen. :thumb: :thumb:

I made snakewood pen for myself a few years back. So far I've had to take it apart once to fill a crack. Just looked at it and I'll be darned if it's got a few more small cracks. I might just have to take it apart and refinish it one of these days. And it was supposedly 'guaranteed' not to crack...

It's worth it to me cause I just love the look of the wood.

So far so good. I've been told many stories about how easy this wood cracks. Even after it has been assembled for a while.

Nice work. I've used snakewood a few times. The first couple of times, I thought I had done something wrong due to the cracks that showed up later. But after many, many cracks, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort, and quit using it. Especially if you make a pen out of it and sell it to someone you don't know and it cracks on them a while later. They might think the crack is due to your work, and not a fault with the wood.

Nice work. I've used snakewood a few times. The first couple of times, I thought I had done something wrong due to the cracks that showed up later. But after many, many cracks, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort, and quit using it. Especially if you make a pen out of it and sell it to someone you don't know and it cracks on them a while later. They might think the crack is due to your work, and not a fault with the wood.

I did sell one that ended up cracking a couple of weeks after it was assembled. I refinished it & there has been no more cracks. Customer was aware of potential but wanted it anyway. That's the reason I think I will just keep this for myself. If it ends up cracking later I will just take it apart & refinish it.

Very nicely done James.
Great Form, Fit and Finish with a nice choice of kit a plating to complement the timber.

I have made a few Snakewood's, but due to the cracking issue and the fact that UV rays will eventually make the "Scales" disappear, I no longer make or sell Snakewood writing instruments.

Les

Elegant is right. Very nice.
Because of the many reports of Snakewood cracking on the penturning forums, I have never tried it. I might have a blank or two but won't be attempting them anytime soon.

Elegant is right. Very nice.
Because of the many reports of Snakewood cracking on the penturning forums, I have never tried it. I might have a blank or two but won't be attempting them anytime soon.

I still have another Snakewood blank sitting here on my desk. I want to use it for another style pen & I will probably keep that also. Don't like the thought of selling it then they return it later because it cracked.