Magic Wand

Dennis Kranz

I want to make a magic wand or 2. But I have no idea if there is such a thing as stanard lengh, width or what ever. Any idea what wood would work best? And is there anyone out there making and selling them? What are you able to get for them?
Dennis

The early Harry Potter movies required a holly wand with a hollow handle that contained some feather from the Phoenix bird or tail of Unicorn. Had to be that or they wouldn't work. :)
Later movies they are made of lots of different kinds of woods.
I have made several, fun projects.
A white wood (maple, holly, etc.) looks nice for the wand and whatever you want for the handle.
BTW, I rounded the ends of the wands to make them a little safer if handled by small children.
Be careful where you aim those things. :rolleyes:

yep they are out there type in harry potter wand. I made a few for my kids and nephew last christmas. Big hit as we had the 7 yr old nephew point it at the remote fire place( he had no idea) and he made the fire go on and off it was priceless. I think a majority of them come from China and they are supplying them in box's from Ollivander's wand shop (another site to check out) each wand is different and that is a good thing as no two wands need to be the same in length and weight. How it is designed is the same. Best is to have fun with it and make up a good story as to what is in the wand that makes it so magical. They have been selling from 25 bucks up to 50 for the more detailed ones, but it isn't really needed as the kids imagination takes hold as it is his special wand that chose them and no other wizard can use anothers wand properly.

Thanks for the web site Drew. I had no idea that all the woods had special powers and what ever the essance is. I think I'll just make a couple and let who ever buys make up there own. Think I'll take a branch out of a tree and see what happens.
Dennis

I did one out of cherry and another out of oak and the last out of maple. In the magical world dragons scale or dragon heart strings or the feathers of mystical birds with magical powers are placed in the wands. ( how can you tell my kids loved Harry Potter ) both my kids were too old for the wands but I figured, what the heck it was fun to make them and see their faces when they opened them. Dennis you have to tell them when they get the wands what is insided them it just adds to the magic.