Sandblast units

Jim Evatt

Thinking about a Northern Tools sandblast cabinet. I also have located a USA made portable unit that holds 75 lbs. Has anyone used a portable unit? Can you reuse the blast medium? Do you set up a tent to do the blasting, and how do you reclaim the sand/medium? If you had a choice, would you buy both? Any good source for a used cabinet unit? I live in upstate S.C. Thanks!

Thnks replies.

I am going to look at procedure for open sandblasting under a tent wearing a good respirator. I guess you would just scoop up the spent medium and reuse it, it would be contaminated and might clog it up,any thoughts on this, Northern Tools seems to have the best price on an inexpensive unit. There's is the only one that shows top-loading in addition to side loads. Any ideas?

My old Sears gravity sandblaster had a screen to run the reused material through. No more than I used it, I found it cheaper and easier to buy new material, less fuss. Black beauty was a good sharp sand.

Also get the hood. Want to talk about toxic dust, sandblasting dust is a real killer.

Thanks for being safe Jon:D! Most blast medium is silicate...A leading cause of Pulmonary Fibrosis. The only known cure is a lung transplant. I've used the HF tank a few years ago. Works well and to add exclamation...it's messy! And yes...I used a hood and my respirator!:thumb::thumb:

Did anyone tell ya it's kinda messy???????????
I tried to reuse the sand just one time. I learned real fast that once it leaves the nozzle it is gone forget about it. :doh::doh::thumb: