Mesquite Nested Bowl Set

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I really have been turning lately, just been too lazy to set up the photo rig. This is a nested set of mesquite bowls I made for my nephew and his new bride, who are getting married next weekend. I forgot to get measurements before I shipped it out today, but the big bowl is about 12" wide and maybe 8" deep. The rims were burned with a propane torch before the inside and outside were finish sanded. They're all finished with a couple of coats of BLO followed by a lot of coats of semi-gloss spraycan lacquer, wet sanded with 600 grit, buffed with PL compound, then waxed with Renaissance wax. I let the BLO cure for about a month before spraying the lacquer. This is my first successful 3-bowl set from the McNaughton.

Click on the pics to see a bigger view...

Comments, critiques, suggestions, and questions are all welcome.

Now that is one classy looking set of bowls! Absolutely gorgeous!

Of course I am partial to mesquite and love turning it for boxes. I have never had any pieces large enough to turn a bowl.

Oh, did I mention that is purty work!:thumb:

Wow! You sure put that load of mesquite to good use! I saw a set like that at Macy's :rofl: That's a lot of finish work...bet you can see right through the grain!

Vaughn,
Those are beautiful... Mesquite is the wood that got me into this mess..(turning).. I saw a mesquite bowl in a gallery in Fredericksburg, TX and was blown away by the turning and finish... yours equal the one there... I want a coring system one of these days... I hate wasting wood and it seems like such a waste to hollow a big bowl and let all that extra wood just become chips on the floor...
I know your nephew and his bride will cherish these for all their years..

What a beautiful bowl set! Awesome work! I didn't think I needed to "click to see a bigger view", but I did anyway. Made them even more awesome-er. That mesquite is just, well, er, beautiful!

Last edited: