Crummy Couple of Weeks

I've just recently had a crummy couple of weeks which is why I haven't been around much lately. But out of a long list of things, the one thing that's bothering me the most (as of today anyway :rolleyes:) is that an old friend of mine is getting divorced after 28 years of marriage.

This is a couple that I always looked up to as the example of the "perfect" marriage. Happy, well-adjusted, great kids, great life. That was my ideal, what I aspired to. So now, to learn that they've been unhappy for years....it's very sad for me--my dream has, poof, vanished.

How do you reconcile the loss, that something wasn't what you always thought it was? Do you know what I mean?

My parents did that...for whatever reason, 25 years seems to be a freaky number for divorce. Pattern after the good stuff and leave out the bad! We accomplish this by me always getting the last word..."Yes Dear". Keep your chin up because it's not you.

Cynthia, sorry to hear that, it is a sad situation. I would say keep your old friend and don't let them down at a time when help, and true friends are needed. You can't always know what people are going through in their lives, nor should we know. If they want you to know what happened they will tell you when the time is right.

Divorce is almost always a sad thing...when it's a couple you've thought were perfect it makes it even worst. I've gone thru the same, although they were only together for half the amount of time. Not fun at all, but maybe it's best for both of them...I'm trying to see any good in a bad time I guess. :dunno:

Hang in there Cynthia, and simply be present for your friend. It is very disrupting when something like this happens. Perhaps as she looks back, your friend will know she did the right thing for herself....and like Allen said - what goes on behind closed doors is often a mystery.

Your sadness is understandable. Even your friends may not understand why divorce happens after so many years of marriage. Your friendship will be very important for your friend--sometimes being a good listener is the most valuable gift you can imagine.

Sorry to hear the sad news concerning your friend Cynthia, but your dream shouldn't disappear on account of someone else's misfortune/choosings...
Sometimes reality slaps us when we least expect it! Use it to reinforce your determination of reaching that preconceived image...nothing to stop you but you, and though I've limited knowledge of you really are, I don't see you as one to just give up hope on your dream{s}...I could go on blah blah blahing but I'll end it now and close by saying it's good to see you back here...:thumb:

OH, and if it helps to cheer you up, remember things could always be worse...for one instance, you could of been married to me :eek::rofl:
Hang in there, as my mother used to say... most stains in life usually come out in the wash :D

Real important don't take sides be neutral. Being judgmental won't make you feel better. I've been going through this for 3 years with a friend of mine & have been through a divorce my self & know from experience even the couple in question doesn't fully understand what all went wrong.

Been dealing with almost the exact same situation for the past year. The toughest thing I have had to contend with is the listening aspect and when they both try to pull you into their side of things. The best advice I have found is to let them both know that you are friends with the both of them and that will never change.