Need help setting value - new item added!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
A long time friend of mine is helping with the estate sale of his father's farm. He had several woodworking tools that will be sold and he asked for my help in determining a value for them. This is out of my realm a bit, so I come to you, my FWW family, for some guidance. Here are the pics, sorry for the quality of some. There are also some non-WW'ing items he's asked me abut and I've included them as well in hopes one of you might have a clue. :D

photo (800 x 598).jpgwooden planner box.jpgwooden planner box1.jpgold meat grinder.jpgOld wash board‏.jpg

Last edited:
Rennie, can't help with any values, sorry. But the next to last picture, I think it was the fourth picture, is that a tenon cutter? (for like log furniture?)
Sorry to hear about your buddy's dad. Hope you find the information you need. They having an onsite auction?

Rennie, can't help with any values, sorry. But the next to last picture, I think it was the fourth picture, is that a tenon cutter? (for like log furniture?)
Sorry to hear about your buddy's dad. Hope you find the information you need. They having an onsite auction?
His mom passed away, his dad, unable to function on his own anymore, is selling off the farm and moving to attended care.

Tenon cutter? No, sorry. Meat Grinder.:D

His mom passed away, his dad, unable to function on his own anymore, is selling off the farm and moving to attended care.

Tenon cutter? No, sorry. Meat Grinder.:D

That was my second guess. :p

I might be interested in things, sounds like Jim might also. If they are piecing these out, put them in classifieds, this family might be interested in many of the equipment.

I jumped to conclusions, sorry about his mom, his dad sounds like a sensible guy. I don't know if I want to be alive to part out my farm. On the other hand, if I do it, I can see the value of selling at a low price to a guy that needs it and can't afford it or will use it with respect.

Last edited:
Brace & Bits - probably around fifty bucks for the whole shebang.

Wooden planes look pretty bleak & used up. An antique or curio shop might be interested, but as woodworking tools they're pretty much worthless.

Can't help on the rest of the stuff.

Seeing how I spent around 13 hours at antique shops Monday, here it goes. Jim is spot on with the $50 for the brace and bits. The planes, what ever you can get for them. They would be more of a decorator piece than a user. The meat grinder, lowest I seen was $15, highest was $35. Can't tell what the last item is, so no help there.

Rennie,
The set of brace and bits - is kind of hard to say for sure. If the bits are in very good shape and all match, then maybe $45-75. But if they are a mixed set, and not complete, much less. The best braces, a Stanley 2101 can go for $50 in great shape, but often less.

The planes - I agree with Jim.

The rest, I don't know. Sorry if these items are worth less than they hoped.

My Grandpa would always tell me, "go get the eggbeater drill". That is what he called it and what I call it. You can get a lot of pressure by pushing with your shoulder. Official term, :huh::dunno:. Value, more than ten, less than a hundred?

Looks like maybe a Millers Fall #5, 2-speed breast drill, with a replacement handle on the crank.

I paid $7.00 for the one I bought last Summer. Didn't consider it an especially good buy - just more or less the going rate. YMMV

Sale begins tomorrow (6/16), so prompt input would be appreciated!

View attachment 57372

My idea of value of those items seems to be way off from the other guys here. I have one like that I couldn't sell at a garage sale for $1.00. I keep it and use about once every other year. A large flea market/antique shop locally has many brace and bits and planes that have sat for years unsold, most under $20.00.