Drink Coasters - Finish with Poly?

glenn bradley

I have made some cherry drink coasters . . . no, not coasters for cherry flavored drinks; cherry wood shaped into coasters for any drinks ;-) I normally reserve poly for floors and doorway thresholds. Any thoughts on poly for these coasters? Good plan? Varnish instead?

P.s. Lesson learned; never make coasters for anyone, ever, ever, ever. No matter how much attention you give in making them, they still look like something anyone could pickup at Wal-Mart for $10.

Personally, I think poly would be a good choice. I'd probably go with a waterbased acrylic like PolyCrylic. I used PolyCrylic on the extension table for my bandsaw, and it gets wet wood, cold drinks and wet sandpaper set on it all the time. In 3 or 4 years of use, it has held up very nicely.

And I gotta agree with your observations about making things like coasters or other simple wood products. There are some things that don't make much sense to make when you can buy some nice equivalents at WalMart or Ikea. I think that partially explains why I'd rather make an artistic bowl than a utilitarian bowl. The only difference between a $15 Ikea salad bowl and one I make is about $100 and the fact that you're more likely to be able to pronounce the name of the guy who made mine. :rolleyes: :p

Say, I've got some water borne Polycrylic I was going to use to spray but never got around to it. I'll report back on the status.

Wasn't there somebody on here that made end grain coasters? They looked like mini cutting boards. That was about the only time I seen a set that looked different.