Think this will work.

My MIL asked me to turn a urn for my FIW. Well i tried to get started and as the piece is fairly large i thought i needed a steedy rest. Well being the cheep person i am :D i decided to make one instead of putting out big bucks to buy one. Well this is what i came up with. might put some walnut vaneer on the BB ply as i have some just sitting around. Don't like the wheels but i had them and can't seem to find any rollar blades any where. Will keep looking for some, but thought these would do till i can come up with some.:dunno:Thanks and if i did something wrong, or need to do something different please let me know.

Attachments

• 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 94
Looks really good to me!

Maybe you want to put a bit of wax or something on the bolts that go through the wheels, then again if they are nylon, they should self lube fairly well, but they might be noisy.

I just searched E-bay for "Inline Skate Wheels" and LOTS of hits came back.

You might have to buy a set of 8 or something, just make sure you get them with the ball bearings. Skateboard wheels (again the kind with ball bearings) work well too!

it is not a bad idea to age a set of 8 or so, as they do wear out, the wheels wear on the wood, so if you end up using your steady rest a fair bit, you might need another set of wheels.

Looks great! :thumb:

Looks really good to me!

Maybe you want to put a bit of wax or something on the bolts that go through the wheels, then again if they are nylon, they should self lube fairly well, but they might be noisy.

I just searched E-bay for "Inline Skate Wheels" and LOTS of hits came back.

You might have to buy a set of 8 or something, just make sure you get them with the ball bearings. Skateboard wheels (again the kind with ball bearings) work well too!

it is not a bad idea to age a set of 8 or so, as they do wear out, the wheels wear on the wood, so if you end up using your steady rest a fair bit, you might need another set of wheels.

Looks great! :thumb:
Thanks Stu i never thought of skate boards.:doh: i think my son might still have 1 or 2 old ones hiding around here. Again thanks.:thumb:

Looks great and it reminds me that i need to get my butt in gear and put together the one I was making before I started doing the million other things that I have to do around the house. I found sets of roller blades at the local Salvation Army and St Vincent De Paul thrift stores.