Battery Resurrection

Bill McQueen

I read some post about rechargeable batteries.You can bring any battery that won't take a charge or is dead back to life with a welder, I've done it many times. Just go to youtube.com and type in Battery and welder scan down a ways and you see how it's done. I call it resurrection juice!

You can even zap AA,AAA with a car battery.

Hope this saves you some money.

Bill :D

PS it's better to attach little clips to the battery post instead of touching the actual welder tip to the lug, (no clean up). It's will make sense when you go to Youtube.

I've never found a way to rejuvenate rechargeable batteries, and I've tried a lot of different techniques which claimed to do so. If some reliable technique existed, I'm sure someone would make, and sell, a device to "fix" dead rechargeable batteries, or manufacturers would include the technique in their chargers.

Mike

I recently have been doing this with 4 different battery packs. I used a battery charger not a welder. It depends on what voltage you need. Also it depends on the battery type. Ni cad batteries can be made useful again. I was able to make 3 out of 4 batteries useful again. Now, I'm saying "useful" not "like new". I am very happy with the results I got and it has saved me from having to go buy replacement battery packs. I would not go so far as to say that they are holding the same amount of juice that a new pack will hold. So if you need a battery pack to last a very long time....go buy a new battery. However if you only use your drill for small jobs like me then yes this works great! If I was a working carpenter...I would want a new battery, but as a hobbist...this keeps me working in the shop and lasts long enough.

Hey Mike you might want to take my suggestion and go to youtube and watch it actually being done, that might make a believer out of you. As for company's making something to do that why would they do that they want to sell you 80.00 batteries. The reason why someone doesn't make a machine to do it is probably because it's more than outside the box, might have trouble marketing it.

Hey Mike you might want to take my suggestion and go to youtube and watch it actually being done, that might make a believer out of you. As for company's making something to do that why would they do that they want to sell you 80.00 batteries. The reason why someone doesn't make a machine to do it is probably because it's more than outside the box, might have trouble marketing it.

I've seen probably 20 to 30 "do it yourself" rejuvenate your rechargeable battery techniques and none of them have proven to be useful. Additionally, if you research the reasons most rechargeable batteries fail, it's because of chemical changes in the battery which cannot be reversed.

If some technique works for you, I say, "God bless you. Use it to your heart's content." But I've never found a single technique that works for me, nor have I ever read any single reputable report that says you can restore dead rechargeable batteries, in any way at all.

And as to your comment that battery makers might want to hide some technique like this, that falls into the same category as the 100 MPG carburetor that the automobile companies, or the oil companies, were suppose to have.

If one of these techniques actually worked, some individual, who had no association with the battery companies, would start making a "battery rejuvenator" device, and sell it through the Internet - and make a fortune. The reason no one does so is because the devices wouldn't work and the person could be accused of fraud for selling such a device.

This is just another Internet urban legend which appears every now and again - this is not the first time one of these "fix your dead battery" techniques have been touted on the Internet.

Mike

Mike, I do agree with you to a point. I believe that the another reason you cannot sell a device like this is due to liability. No one wants to be responsible for telling you you can basically "shock" treat your packs. It is NOT 100% safe to do this and like I mentioned in my post it does not bring your packs back to full voltage capacity. For me it will prolong my packs but eventually they will get too bad to use and buying new ones will be necessary.

Ya Tom they don't last as long as a new one but I'm still running on one I did quite some time ago. It's also a liability issue or I'd be selling them myself.

Mike I don't think I would have done 30 batteries before I gave up, your a real trooper. Thanks for you input. :thumb:

Just for safety sake i thought i would repost the warning i posted somewhere else on Lithium batteries.

These batteries are extremely dangerous as far as the chemicals are concerned. Dont try kick starting them or shorting them or doing any other messing with the lithium ones. They can explode. You have been warned.

You will notice that even Jims repacking company has a warning on the bottom of the page about these batteries.

Great technology just treat it with respect.

I looked into this battery rebuild thing before and I have to disagree with you Jim. I can get a new battery cheaper than I can get one rebuilt. I mostly use Ryobi 18v tools so maybe they are the exception.

I looked into this battery rebuild thing before and I have to disagree with you Jim. I can get a new battery cheaper than I can get one rebuilt. I mostly use Ryobi 18v tools so maybe they are the exception.

Looking at the prices for a rebuild of my 19.2v Craftsman batteries, they want $45, $50, or $69, Sears has 2 new ones for $64.99

Looking at the prices for a rebuild of my 19.2v Craftsman batteries, they want $45, $50, or $69, Sears has 2 new ones for $64.99
I found the same thing. I was able to buy a new DeWalt drill, with two 18V batteries for $99. I figured I'd keep the batteries and sell the bare drill but decided to keep everything.

If I look at buying a new battery, or getting a battery rebuilt, it would cost me a significant part of what I paid for two batteries and a drill.

They don't have sales like that all the time, but I see them maybe twice a year.

But rebuilding may be a good option if you have some unusual battery.

Mike

Some of the sale prices are very cheap, you're right. You're also right about MTO working on older or obsolete batteries. They rebuilt 2 old PC batteries for me a few years ago that were no longer available any where. Put one of my favorite tools back in service.:thumb: