Dust Collector Question ???

Dan Mosley

Spent part of the day at another shop that was making shutters and the owner showed me his shop which was very nice and clean. I asked him about what dust collectors and he has a large two barrel type set up with over head air filtration systems in the shop to help with dust.
Question: the dust collecotor and bag is something i would like to have at home to be able to just sweep up the larger shaving and them quickly cleaned up. I turn out in the driveway and it would be nice and quick for cleanup.......................came upon this locally.......opinions???
SECO BRAND-----$150.00
240 Volts, 60Hz, 9A
2 Horsepower Motor 3420 RPM, 12 Amps
MODEL: UFO-101

Attachments

• 3mc3p53ld5Q15Z55X3b68b0fa5ac70ff211f2[1].jpg
    3mc3p53ld5Q15Z55X3b68b0fa5ac70ff211f2[1].jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 3n23od3lf5O55X45R2b68a3c07070d9e1112e[1].jpg
    3n23od3lf5O55X45R2b68a3c07070d9e1112e[1].jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 54
Hi,

The dust collector is the same configuration as my unit. Mine has the same electrical data as this one. Mine is from Penn State. Mine cost more. Mine has 1 micron filtration.

My unit is in the "Outhouse," an enclosed shed built onto my shop/garage (it never sees a car). With the collection out there I did not need to spend extra dollars for the one-micron filtering. However, I did not know it was going out there when I purchased it. And, as a doc (eyes not med) I am probably a bit more aware of what the stuff under 3 microns does to lungs---I don't want that damage. Anyway since it is in another room with, no connection to the shop other than where the six-inch duct goes through the wall, a cheaper bag would have been just as good.

I'm not quite sure that the above paragraph is in English. However, I think you get the drift.

Using only one machine at a time with all of the other blast-gates closed. The machine appears to work well. However, if I were purchasing again, I would pay the price and go for more horsepower.

I used every design factor I could for efficiency. It does the job. But it has no extra. I made as few turns as I could. The 90 degree turns are made up of two 45 degree elbows. It is a work in progress. I am replacing my flex hose drops (5 ft is the longest) with rigid pipe whenever I get an extra moment. All of my ducting has a slight downhill run as it goes towards the DC.

Any questions give me a PM or email <jandmbradley@cox.net>

Enjoy,

Jim

My unit is also installed in an "outhouse" outside the shop... helps in two ways... cuts down on the dust in the shop (some.. still have a layer on most things...) and it cuts down on the noise... I only hear a loud hum. My hose runs are a little longer and they go overhead between the two saws... I have plans to add a separator unit between the impeller and the bags... I do get a clog in there if I'm cutting well when using green wood... I have to check periodically to make sure the little screen grid over the impeller isn't clogged. My unit is a 1 1/2 horse from Harbor Freight... 110 V... the top bag on mine is one I got from Grizzly, so don't think it's really a tight weave/low micron rating.

Using a floor sweep with a single stage collector such as this can be dangerous. All of the sweepings go through the fan. If something metal is picked up, it can cause a spark, which is dropped into sawdust and shavings that have just been filled with air.

The concern is that the spark may smoulder for hours, then catch fire in the middle of the night.

If you use a cyclone, the trash is dropped before the air goes through the fan.

Also, if your collector is sucking 1000 cfm, and is outside, you are pulling 1000 cfm into the shop from somewhere. That make-up air needs to be filtered and heated/cooled, and should not come down the flue from the water heater or furnace.

It is never as simple or as cheap as you want. I am in the process of replacing all my false starts with a cyclone.

Question: the dust collector and bag is something i would like to have at home to be able to just sweep up the larger shaving and them quickly cleaned up. I turn out in the driveway and it would be nice and quick for cleanup.......................came upon this locally.......opinions???

Dan,

For that purpose, I imagine you'd be fine. That's way different from what most people use a dust collector for. Essentially, you'd be getting a nice, large capacity shop vac, which wouldn't destroy your ears. It would make quick work of a bunch of lathe shavings on a driveway! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the replys - im going to keep looking and get one that has more power that way i can have it hooked up for more than one thing.
Ill let you know when i find one and probably ask other questions regarding hooking it up to other things in the garage..........