Lesson day today in the garage

Dan Mosley

Picture #1 - turned by a relative on vacation here and insisted on wanting it
thick and wanted to turn it to finish in one session........oooook i thought but acutally it turned out better than i thought with only a small amount of warping on one edge. It was soaked well each day for 4-5 days (his idea) and wiped down after each coat and has been sitting for 3 1/2 months now. Should have been twice turned but he loves it and im going to buff it up and ship it out to him.

Picture 2-3 - Olive wood vessel completly finished - 3 coats of waterlox, 000, and Ren wax rubbed on by hand and buffed off

Picture 4- Small light wood shallow bowl - sanded to 600 and will coat with 3 coats of waterlox and buff - issue was it was turned very thin and was difficult to sand due to the warping but still looks good.

Picture 5 - Walnut vessel - 2nd coat of waterlox on - pores very open on it so im thinking of filling and knocking down several times with 50/50 laquer and laquer thinner. then onto several top coats of spray laquer. I did sand for a long period of time but the pores remain. I think once filled and a smooth finish it should look great

Picture 6 and 7 are a vase that was oiled and buffed and looks great but the bottom was made a bit to small so it can topple easy even if you blow on it. I
really did not pay any attention to the steep backing and narrow base when i was turning it and just make it how I thought it would look the best. It should have been wider at the bottom to account for being top heavy.

In pictures 8-9 is another one with a wider base that ill finish the same way.

Attachments

• Olive bowl-1.jpg
    Olive bowl-1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Olive Finished.jpg
    Olive Finished.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Olive Finished-2.jpg
    Olive Finished-2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010007_renamed_23239.jpg
    P1010007_renamed_23239.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Vase-1.jpg
    Vase-1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Small-Vase-2.jpg
    Small-Vase-2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Vase-2.jpg
    Vase-2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Vase-22.jpg
    Vase-22.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 48
Thanks and i suppose some lead would work but I have alot of other projects so it was a lesson and ill have to remember to think about it next time I have one like that................