Spalted Blue Pine with Knot

Ron Hossack

IAP - PITH 2011 pen I sent. Rules were simple, make it with Pine. 2x4 cut off found at a scrap pile at a Rustic Furniture Maker who tosses these things away.

I placed it under the forced air heater at work for a week and then baked it at 150º for a few hours to harden the pitch loaded knot so I could turn it.

1307433PITH_002__800x600_.JPG

A Woodcraft Cigar pen made into a One-Piece on a Spalted Blue Pine with a nice knot and then four coats of Med CA and polished with brasso.

5174579PithPen_003__800x600_.JPG

1925715PithPen_004__800x600_.JPG

The other half of the blank and you can see the pitch in this one as I didn't bake it .... yet.

7602644PithPen_005__800x600_.JPG

You did wonders with that wood. I didn't know you could even do things like that. And then doing a one piece cigar pen shows off that wood.
Dennis

I missed it this time...thank goodness! As a simple pen maker...all I have is WOW!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: If you happen across anymore of that fine stock.....

Last edited:
Wow, that's a gorgeous pen. Great job on the turning, but an equally fine job on cutting the blank to take advantage of the figure. :clap:

Thanks for all the kind comments. I really like this pen and will look for more scraps like this.

Doug Miller: 1 question: Where does it twist?

As Paul said ... from the nib. I'm just a big fan of center bands so this version came about after a couple of trial and errors.

I use a Cigar tube on the final side and a Sierra tube glued at the nib end so the cigar tube slides into it.

I've made them without the Sierra tube but just am not happy with it as I've dropped a couple and the pen has split on the end so I play it safe and just use a Sierra tube so the whole thing slides from the bottom.

Here's a pic of a piece of Curly Maple so maybe you can understand what I typed.

5083061onePcig.jpg