Pandora - Worth the upgrade?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I listen to Pandora in the shop sometimes, and always while I'm working outside, mowing, etc. I like it, but I hear a lot of the same music and the playlists for my chosen artists seem rather abbreviated. There is an upgrade to Pandora One for $36 a year. Do any of you have it? Is it worth the money?:dunno:

for me it is rennie,, its worth it just to eliminate the commercials,, and as for the repeats, i had some certain artist and those repeat sooner then the others but if yu find one you like that is played and tell pandora so you get more like that that you may not have heard of.. i know it has lengthened the playlist for me..

good point made by the elder of the group:) if we continue to use the free version and not give some back,, it will go away and we will wonder why..i know the commercials pay for there time, but a little from one of us is still more than they had and better than taking advantage completely of a good thing..

Actually Dad and I both bought the "Livio" appliance that acts as an internet radio with Pandora specifcs built into the device and the remote (thumbs up/down, skip, channel select, presets, volume and such). With the purchase of the radio you get a modified version of the free app that you can access with a PC. The free version allows 40 hours of listening per week. Many folks may never run into this limit but, with my job and hours, I do ;-) This limit does not apply to the Livio appliance.

I started listening to Pandora (and others) on an old laptop hooked up to a set of powered speakers in the shop. I listen to free Pandora on whatever computer I am using at the time at work and the Livio radio at home. The commercials are not as frequent on the Livio as they are on the PC or at least it seems that way to me.

As to having the same songs too often; this can be a direct result of your seed artists and seed songs. If you have not tried modifying these settings for a given station, give it a try. It took me quite awhile to "tune in" my station that is primarily keyboard artists but I am very happy with it now. I have other stations for Guitar, Metal, Folk Rock, Classical, Chamber, Swing, Blues and so on. Being more specific for a given station leads to a greater array of similar artists/songs but, I do keep a "General" station that is more wide open.

Last edited:
I've had the paid version for several months, and use it almost daily on the shop computer. I find it worthwhile. It'll play for about five uninterrupted hours between 'resets.' The lack of commercials is also an asset. I also think it repeats less than the free version. I listen mostly to either Celtic, or to instrumental Bluegrass.

Celtic and Instrumental Bluegrass---now that is an interesting combination.

I used to (well, actually, I still do) drive Myrna nuts with some of the food combinations I eat. Guess that's an interesting combination of a different kind.

Enjoy your music!!!

Jim

With all of the Hotel time I've been running up lately, I've been using Pandora (free version) on my iPod Touch (docked to an iLife speaker) as entertainment before work.

I doubt I'll hit 40 hrs in one week, but I'll definitely get over 20 some weeks Still, $36 for a Year might be doable later this year.

Celtic and Instrumental Bluegrass---now that is an interesting combination...Jim

Actually, they're not all that far apart. Bluegrass style is essentially some good-ole-boy music from the hills and valleys of West Virginia/Kentucky/Tennesee, and that part of the country was largely settled by folks from Scotland and Ireland. Think Irish fiddle, harp, etc. It's a whole lot like Bluegrass fiddle, etc.