New Load of Wood - What I learned

Dan Mosley

I was running out of turning wood and a guy that I have bought wood from in the past called and had a load of Ironwood - actually 14 logs 5-6ft long. The only downside was I had to take all 14 logs which I really did not want to do due to storage issues (I work out a a garage and limited on storage). So, I picked up all 14 and hauled them home.......This is a wood I really like to turn because of the character and colors in it......it is a very hard and heavy wood - I guess thats why they call it Ironwood because it is very heavy and dense............

Pic 1-2 - Load ready for cutting off the ends, cutting to managable size and anchor seal

Pic 3-6 cut and stacked best I could - most under the work bench in the garage. Two logs and some smaller ones outside on the side yard in shade hoping I do not lose them to cracking - all ends coated twice with anchor seal
Pic 7-8 small vessel that I tried to cut off the tennon with one small cut and to hear a click as it gave way.........ok I chickened out.......LOL....... and stopped at this point and cut it off and sanded the bottom............:D

What did I learn ? I need more storage..............LOL

Attachments

• t-1.jpg
    t-1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 80
  • t-2.jpg
    t-2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 72
  • t-8.jpg
    t-8.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 74
  • t-5.jpg
    t-5.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 77
  • t-7.jpg
    t-7.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 71
  • t-6.jpg
    t-6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 73
  • t-4.jpg
    t-4.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 78
  • t-3.jpg
    t-3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 72
Looks like a great haul, Dan. :thumb: I suspect what you have is acacia wood (which is called ironwood in some circles). Ironwood is used as a name for a lot of different species of wood. Acacia is gorgeous, though, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of great stuff out of that haul.

Interesting as I did not know that about it being called acacia... I have heard it called Mountain Mahoganey and Ironwood. I cut it up and hoping the anchor seal and possibly may wrap the ends of the logs will slow things waaaaaay down.

Beautiful load of wood. Should keep you busy for a long time.
I see splits in the log ends already. Keep those portions and mill into pen blanks, you can sell them to Masons who do penturing. Want to know why? Ask a Mason.

I just wish I had a place to store more of it............LOL im max'ed out in the garage............ill try to figure out where to put more when I can.......
Yes there is some small checking on the ends even though I had cut the ends off. I cut them several times and they still showed a little but Ill cut them more in the future most likely. My other option is to make vessels out of it and stop the cracking at the pith in the bottom......for now i have most of it inside and it will give me some time to cut them into blanks