Finishing Question

Gord Rock

I posted this in the Finishing area and it was suggested I post it here as well:

I turned a yoyo for my grandson from Cocobolo and used MinWax Wipe-On Poly as the finish. The poly has been drying for a few days but is still tacky.

Do I need to remove the poly, wipe the Cocobolo with acetone or something, and reapply the poly? Or should I use some other finish? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
.....Gord

The Minwax could be contaminated, old, or interacting with the oil in the wood. I would remove the finish, and wipe down the bare wood with acetone. I would make a wiping version of some fresh oil base polyurethane and VM&P naptha. Try a 25% reduction for the first application or two.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

I wouldn't use acetone since it isn't the thinner for the poly. I would use mineral spirits. A good rub down should remove the bad finish you have on there. Once that has dried, then you might give the cocobolo a good rub down with acetone to remove the oil on the surface of the yo-yo. Then quickly apply a seal coat of shellac. Once that is dry you should be able to use about any finish you desire.

I wouldn't use acetone since it isn't the thinner for the poly. I would use mineral spirits. A good rub down should remove the bad finish you have on there.

Acetone isn't meant to be used as a thinner for oil base polyurethane. It's used to remove the finish and oils. Mineral spirits will likely not remove dried OB poly. The acetone evaporates quickly, and would not interfere with applying another finish.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Wipe off the wop with mineral spirits...cocobolo and wop don't mix well...a good solution has been to sand it to whatever grit...say 600...and use CA. cocobolo has a lot of oil in it so the wop won't cure. You can wipe it down with mineral spirits and apply wop, but you will see some grain raised. May lso want to check the date of the wop.