Hey Californians and those from Utah

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
Here I come again, with my hand out.

I need two 6X6X4 pieces of a wood that is native to California and two pieces of Buckeye Burl from Utah. I have been told that the Buckeye Burl is plentiful there.

Bruce

Bruce, I've lived in Utah for almost 59 years and I've never seen any Buckeye Burl. Are you possibly thinking about Box Elder burl? Although I wouldn't call it plentiful, you can find some nice Box Elder burl here in Utah.

Thanks for the replies. Curt, it looks like I was gven some bad information. John, what are they. Jim, I have a lot of Walnut and the redwood I've seen is a little plain for this.

The pieces go to the mother of a Coast Guard Daughter and her Coast Guard husband. They are for keeping a record of the states where they have been stationed.

I guess, I need some help from Ohio for the Buckeye. Any other choices from California?

Bruce

I don't have any of it. However, how about the California Redwoods. These trees are simply magnificent. And they are so "California." Many of the tourist trap and other gift shops carry bowls, candle sticks, etc. made from the redwood.

Get a hold of someone from Central Calif or further north. It was certainly plentiful when I was up there last (71 or 72 years ago). Perhaps the tourists and woodworkers have left some.

Enjoy,

Jim

Bruce, redwood burl can be pretty stunning. This is an example that Jim Burr turned...

attachment.php

I don't know how it turns, but isn't Madrone native to Calif???... I know it's a tough wood to split when used for fire wood... very stringy.

Another would be Manzanita just be careful of the stones in the roots... I've been told they are a shock to hit with a turning tool at high speeds....:D