Show Me Your Miter Saw/RAS Station!!!

Let's see some pics of your miter saw or radial arm saw station!

Did you build Norm's? Let's see it.

Is it mobile? Did you incorporate other tools into it? Pics Please.

How long is it? What type of fence are you using? Stop blocks?

Looking for ideas here. Let's see what you got.

Edit: If you already have a thread dedicated to yours, please post a link!

Last edited:
CMSstand.jpg

here's mine, but it is meant to be rough and tumble. Not what I'll wind up with in the long run. I'm thinking of either refitting my benches with a tool well, where I can drop my CMS in and have a clamp down fence for really long stuff, or building one like Nahm's. My mentor John had his SCMS set up in a Nahm style unit with dedicated fence, but that eats up a lot of wall space. (see attached photo in the Background you can see his setup.)

I'll have to build Something, because I really like having the CMS for cutting to length.

Attachments

• 019_19.JPG
    019_19.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 107
CMS

It's a DeWalt 12 inch with an after market 90 tooth blade
The left hand wing is a little longer than the right hand wing and was determined by the height off the floor
Double 3-1/2 inch hinges on each side for the wings
Back fence is 1-1/2 inches thick
Two pieces of 3/4 conduit for the sliding dust box
A separate 2 inch flex hose is attached to the saw dust port and feeds down through the 4 inch dust port - a portable vac swages itself up to the dust port
Daniel :)

Attachments

• mtrsaw2w.jpg
    mtrsaw2w.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 155
  • mtrsaw3w.jpg
    mtrsaw3w.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 97
  • mtrsaw4w.jpg
    mtrsaw4w.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 88
  • mtrsaw5w.jpg
    mtrsaw5w.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 77
First picture is the TurboCAD file I used to design the sucker. The different colors are just to make it easer to see the features. I had some Naughhyde ( not a clue how to spell it.) so made a cowling around the saw for better suction.

Attachments

• Chop Saw.JPG
    Chop Saw.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01024.jpg
    DSC01024.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01026.jpg
    DSC01026.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Mine is the same as Greg has. The Ridgid MUV. Easy fold up and out, works good and a good value at the regular price. A great value at the sales price of $99. Greg's is shown folded out ready for use. Mine is shown folded up ready for storage.

Attachments

• RidgidMUV.jpg
    RidgidMUV.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 74
My main saw. DW708.
I have four:eek:

Last edited:
My DC system for my CMS is made from what ever I had around the shop. 1/8" masonite from old drawer bottoms an old door frame & other scraps. The 2 flaps at the back & on top are hinged to direct the chips depending on whether a straight cross cut is being made a miter is being cut. There is a blast gate behind the enclosure with stops on each end of the gate with a dowel extending over to the right end with a knob on it to open & close the gate. The hasps are just contact glued to the back of the 1/8" masonite. I thought if it comes loose I can put some small through bolts with nuts & washers. Its been 2-3 years now & their still nice & tight.

Attachments

• A1 myshop miter saw DC 001.jpg
    A1 myshop miter saw DC 001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 88
  • A1 myshop miter saw DC 002.jpg
    A1 myshop miter saw DC 002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 68
  • A1 myshop miter saw DC 003.jpg
    A1 myshop miter saw DC 003.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 50
  • A1 myshop miter saw DC 004.jpg
    A1 myshop miter saw DC 004.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 51
  • A1 myshop miter saw DC 005.jpg
    A1 myshop miter saw DC 005.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 43
  • A1 myshop miter saw DC 006.jpg
    A1 myshop miter saw DC 006.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Bart,

Very clever use of padlock hasps for hinges!! I love the louver idea - my station (pics to come one day ... i hope) lacks the aiming that your solution may fill perfectly :D

Heres mine. I am planing to build a bench that will house my RAS. The fence will have a miter track to allow for stop blocks and such.
CraftsmanRASandlumberrack.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics, the camera is ready to retire.

Here you go.

after4.jpg

8' table to right, 5 +/- to the left. Fence on the right only but just because I have tied the left side to the saw yet. So will be one long fence. Stop blocks are just what ever scrap is laying around and a clamp. Works for me. Only bad thing is the saw takes 5 minutes to stop spinning so measuring off the blade is annoying but accurate.

And yes, that is where my Miter saw stays. You can see how much I use it. :rolleyes:

Jeff

I used the leg set off my Ridgid RAS to make this one when I still planned to use my garage-converted carport for my workshop.
I thought it was a wonderful innovation until I got to where you see it in the picture. Then I hated the clunky looking thing! :doh:
I didn't want anyone to think I made something that ugly :huh: so I tore it apart. :rofl:

CutoffSaw_001.jpg

CutoffSaw_002.jpg

This old metal table started its life in the military. I rescued it from the landfill and it has followed me around for many years. The center of it is recessed three inches and the handles on it are huge.
My plan was to give it away once I got it unloaded into the new shop. I replaced it with a small worktable I made myself.

As was mentioned in another thread, I was merrily working away building my big worktable when this old roll-around caught my eye and a light bulb came on. It was three days before I got back to my worktable. :rofl:

After a cup of coffee and a bit of staring,:huh: I filled in the handles and raised the center of the table. As soon as I got what I wanted firmly in my mind, I went back to my other projects and haven't gotten back to this one as yet.

When I do, I plan to build a box for each end, one with drawers and one with shelves and a door. At the extreme end of each handle I will have a locking slider that I can bring up for support of the MS.
I will replace the castors with the ones from Hartville tool. Very good brake locks on those.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11881

100_0758.jpg
100_0760.jpg

Whew! I am long winded! :rofl:

DT

I've got my DeWalt on the same Rigid stand as Greg and Allen which has been very handy for me, since I take it away from the shop from time to time. I sometimes wish for a setup on a bench with long fences on both sides and Stops for the times I need to make a lot of repetitive cuts, but for now the portability and "Stowability" is more important and it sets up fast.

No pics, but looks just like Greg's.

Mine is the same as Greg has. The Ridgid MUV. Easy fold up and out, works good and a good value at the regular price. A great value at the sales price of $99. Greg's is shown folded out ready for use. Mine is shown folded up ready for storage.

I like that. With my limited space it would have worked better than the set-up I bought. Might consider replacing the Griz with one of those later.