Making an eight sided veneered tray

To follow up on my previous veneer tutorial, I'm putting together another one on doing an eight sided veneered tray. This one is significantly more complex than the rectangular tray and should not be attempted as a first veneer project.

Like the rectangular tray, it's not quite finished but I should be able to finish it next week.

Comments and corrections will be appreciated.

Mike

Wow! Not only is your veneer work stunning as usual, the tutorial is also very well done. :clap:

My only comments/corrections are in the form of a question. There are a couple of cases on pages 2 and 3 where you say "...in press..." or "...out of press...". Did you mean to say "...in the press..." and "...out of the press..."? Or is it a vernacular thing, like Americans who are in the hospital compared to Brits who are in hospital?

Wordsmithing aside, I always enjoy seeing your veneer work, and you do a great job of explaining your processes. :thumb:

Wow! Not only is your veneer work stunning as usual, the tutorial is also very well done. :clap:

My only comments/corrections are in the form of a question. There are a couple of cases on pages 2 and 3 where you say "...in press..." or "...out of press...". Did you mean to say "...in the press..." and "...out of the press..."? Or is it a vernacular thing, like Americans who are in the hospital compared to Brits who are in hospital?

Wordsmithing aside, I always enjoy seeing your veneer work, and you do a great job of explaining your processes. :thumb:
Yep, veneer people usually say they put things in press, not in the press. The reason is that there's many ways to press something, such as just putting a piece of MDF on top of the veneer and piling weight on, to a vacuum bag, etc. So we usually say put the material in press.

[Added note: Thinking about this some more, I think it's from hearing other veneer workers say it that way. I could say "Press the veneer while the tape dries" instead of "Put the veneer in press while the tape dries." So I guess the usage is just vernacular. Maybe it came from the Brits.]

Mike

Last edited:
I finally finished the rest of the tutorial, which consists mostly of how to make the sides of the tray. You can pick up the tutorial where you left off, here, which is first new page, or go back to the beginning by clicking here.

This is not a beginning veneer project but it may be of interest to those who work with veneer. I think the jig for cutting the biscuit slots is a nice feature.

Mike