transmission fluid?

Frank Fusco

On a muzzle loading discussion forum I belong to it was posted that a reputable gun builder reccomended putting type F transmission fluid on the wood stock of guns as a protectant.
Seems very strange to me. But the builder has an excellent reputation and, I'm sure, doesn't want damage either his guns or reputation.
I'm still very skeeptikal.
Any imput?
David, what say ye?

frank i dont have daves experience at all but i do know that my brother and me as well have used trans fluid on the wooden beds of trucks and trailers to preserve them and it doesnt make the rot at all it will repel alot of moisture for sure.. and it does change the color of the wood some.. so i dont think it would hurt to use it one the gun stock especially if its a user and not a show piece

Used motor oil has been the paint of choice for fences round these parts for years. Best when mixed with kersote but the tree huggers took that off the market years ago. (When it works get grid of it :doh:)
After all it's an oil based paint:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Used motor oil has been the paint of choice for fences round these parts for years. Best when mixed with kersote but the tree huggers took that off the market years ago. (When it works get grid of it :doh:)
After all it's an oil based paint:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My Dad used to do that too :thumb::thumb:

He also used to go to the only gas station up in Bartlett take all their drain oil and pour it in the swamp in back of out house. the film killed all the mosquitoes.

...He also used to go to the only gas station up in Bartlett take all their drain oil and pour it in the swamp in back of out house. the film killed all the mosquitoes.

Back when I was growing up in the '70s, there were a couple of years where Albuquerque had massive moth invasions. At night, the swarms of moths around streetlamp looked like thick, heavy clouds. We had to clean the moths out of the air filters on our cars every couple of days. Going out to the garage at night was at turning on the light would cause a swarm of thousands of moths to suddenly appear from every nook and cranny of the room. It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

I took a large plastic washtub and poured a few inches of used crankcase oil into it, then clamped a light to the edge of the tub. It made a great moth trap. Every day I'd skim off a few inches of oiled moths and add a few more inces of oil to start the process over again.

I think my Dad got the idea when he was in the Marines in the South Pacific in WWII. No one would do it today Frank. This was in the 50's.

Besides, it wasn't a pond it was a small swampy area about 200 yards in back of our house.