A pocket knife--I . . .

• am never without it.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • usually have it.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • never carry a pocket knife.

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
I have many-many knives, kinda of an accumulators obsession, not really a collection.

I too have accumulated quite a few pocket knives. Like you, not really a collection, but kind of an obsession. I have a similar situation with flashlights...

I grew up carrying a pocket knife, hand me downs from my dad or grandfather. Here in Japan it is basically illegal, it has to be under 3" or something stupid like that, so I can't even carry my leatherman anymore :(

I do have a box cutter on my hip most of the time, and sometimes, the cops give me trouble about it, if I have a new blade in it, as it is almost double the allowed length, so I just snap the darn thing off and hand it to them and then tell them to pound sand. I mean I'm WORKING and I use the box cutter hundreds of times a day, do they go into a sushi shop and take the knives away from a sushi chef? Stupid laws....:bang::bang:

I have a couple of Old Timers don't carry them much anymore. I do carry a Stanley 10-049 flat folding locking knife it has a stainless replaceable blade I touch it up a few times then change it. For work I also carry a Bessy folding utility knife which uses regular utility blades & has a storage compartment that holds 4 blades.

Attachments

• 41p3l%2B9ztkL._AA115_.jpg
    41p3l%2B9ztkL._AA115_.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 3180PWQRJAL._AA115_.jpg
    3180PWQRJAL._AA115_.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 7
I carry a single blade serrated Gerber. I have two Swiss Army knives that are too big to carry so they sit in the bottom dresser drawer. I have a Gerber multi tool but that is too big to put in my pocket also. I can't wear a knife on my belt for fear of losing it.
When we were in Iraq I had a guy that worked for me that had 5 knives on him at any one time. He had one on his belt, one on his body armor, one in his boot and one in each top pocket of his pants. I used to tell him, "You are an aircraft mechanic and only have two hands. Are you planning on arming the enemy to make it fair?" He never went outside the wire and had an M-16. :huh: :dunno:

I grew up carrying a pocket knife, hand me downs from my dad or grandfather. Here in Japan it is basically illegal, it has to be under 3" or something stupid like that, so I can't even carry my leatherman anymore :(

I do have a box cutter on my hip most of the time, and sometimes, the cops give me trouble about it, if I have a new blade in it, as it is almost double the allowed length, so I just snap the darn thing off and hand it to them and then tell them to pound sand. I mean I'm WORKING and I use the box cutter hundreds of times a day, do they go into a sushi shop and take the knives away from a sushi chef? Stupid laws....:bang::bang:

Hey Stu, the multi tool Gerber I carry, you can take apart and repair or replace. Have bought some at garage sales :eek: why would you sell one?:huh::dunno: and have used them for parts for mine that I broke something on. You could take the knife blade out, or grind it down to size. The scissors on them are super! Fiskars, they cut like razors!
THE neatest thing about my one pair of Gerbers, they have a bracket that any sabre saw blade fits in. You can cut leather, wood, plastic, whatever blade of your choice and replace when dull.

Always! I generally carry two - sometimes three - knives on my person. I have a small (gentleman's?) Victorinox in my pocket, and either a Gerber or Kershaw (both spring assisted) clipped to the right pocket edge, along with an original Leatherman in the left pocket.

I've also been known to carry a Fairbairn-Sykes in a boot sheath, and on rare occasion, a sgian-dubh. I seldom go anywhere unequipped/unarmed.

Hey Mate that's no knife this is a knife...

Attachments

• 41J5WEM1GEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41J5WEM1GEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 13
  • cudeman-bowie-knife-21309693.jpg
    cudeman-bowie-knife-21309693.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 14
I do not know the model number but I have been carrying a Case with a single lockback blade with black composite scales since at least 1973. It has a 2 1/2" blade.

It is always with me except when I fly. I am very careful not to carry it with me to the airport because it would be confiscated and it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I carried a 3 blade craftsman for years, another made by buck, both of which ended up in the TSA bin after forgetting to check them with my baggage and running late for the plane.

Ever wonder where these things go? I stopped at a garage sale in my neighborhood a couple years ago. The guy had whole bins of swiss army knives, screwdrivers, multi-tools, wrenches, scissors, etc. Turns out he got them from the TSA at BWI.

I bought enough swiss army knives for me and all 6 boys, one dollar a piece. I still have mine, and I'm holding one for James until he turns 8.

Got enough screwdivers to fill a tool box for a few bucks. And a bunch of crescent wrenches. Who would carry a crescent wrench onto a plane? :huh:

Doorlink was with me, so I bought her all the scissors she could ever want. Fifty cents a piece... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Ever wonder where these things go? I stopped at a garage sale in my neighborhood a couple years ago. The guy had whole bins of swiss army knives, screwdrivers, multi-tools, wrenches, scissors, etc. Turns out he got them from the TSA at BWI.

Actually the last one I had taken was at the local hospital. After 8 PM they setup a security check and check everyone coming in. Since we were in a bit of a hurry and my daughter was in ICU I didn't want to take the time to run it back to the truck. The guard took my knife and put it in the trash can behind her. I said I'd be back for it, she said they couldn't give it to me due to policy. :dunno:

The next morning, no security check, could have walked in with my pistol. :dunno:

Actually the last one I had taken was at the local hospital. After 8 PM they setup a security check and check everyone coming in. Since we were in a bit of a hurry and my daughter was in ICU I didn't want to take the time to run it back to the truck. The guard took my knife and put it in the trash can behind her. I said I'd be back for it, she said they couldn't give it to me due to policy. :dunno:

The next morning, no security check, could have walked in with my pistol. :dunno:

Well duh, don't you know killers are only on the night shift! :doh::eek::huh::dunno: Head doctor must be a scardey cat and on the night shift. :eek: Either that or they had a rash of body snatchers during the night shift. :eek:

This is an interesting question. I'm always being asked by people I know if I have something that they can use to cut something or another. I have been carrying a pocket knife of some kind for as long as I can remember. For a very long time, I carried a Buck 303, which is a standard size three bladed pocket knife. A few years back, my brother-in-law asked if I had a pocket knife I could part with for his son. I had several, but since he is into tradition, he wanted one that would mean something to him, so I parted with it and it is now his or at least I hope it is still his.
Since that time, I have carried a small Victorinox unit that is a money clip, knife, scissors and nail file. Then about a year ago, a friend gave me a Leatherman Skeletool. I have had this on my belt every day since. I still carry the Victorinox, but the Skeletool see's a lot of use and it has just about everything I need on a daily basis to get the job done.

Leatherman Wave
Pretty much same story as Brent (except the ATM part).
Carry It all the time, except when I'm flying, then it's in my checked bag.
You never know when you'll have to fix something:thumb:

Last edited:
I have carried a pocket knife since my dad gave me the first one as a youngster. Broke 'em, lost 'em, had them confiscated, but always replaced them.

Now I am carrying a Rigid short lockblade. I have a sgian-dubh when kilted.

The only time I don't have one is when flying.

My 2 most used knives. Pocket and shop knife, The shop knife I have had sense college, I thought I left it at a customers home in Baltimore and did not plan to retrieve it and when I cleaned out my van a few weeks ago , their it was. Like to old lady in the bible who found her coin I was very happy.

Attachments

• P1010242.JPG
    P1010242.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010243.JPG
    P1010243.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 19
I guess it doesn't qualify as a "pocket knife" but it is a knife and I do carry it in my back pocket. Mine's a good old Stanley utility knife and I'm almost never without it. I can't believe how often I end up using it.

John

I have a very small pen knife in my pocket at all times... the blade is only about 1 1/2 inches... have to leave it home or put it my suite case when I fly though... I had one confiscated on my last flight....

I don't carry it much now, but have an old case in a leather sheath... it's a two bladed knife that I bought on board ship in 1963 and have used it to cut every thing from a to z and have never sharpened it.... it can still almost shave the hair off my arm.
It makes a great shop knife though.

I carry an original leatherman in my work briefcase/bag. Does that count?

Nights / weekends I carry a crappy pocket knife or a folding utility knife - but only if I'm doing something.

The only thing TSA has gotten off me is some unopened Pepsi bottles. . . . I don't drink coffee.

Cheers

Jim