Mahogany Bar

mike marvel

This residential mahogany bar was fun to build. Overall it stands about 10ft high, including the header which is about 20ft long x 12" high. The main overhead header is about 5ft in diameter. There is a corresponding header on the opposing wall with a 30" clear hole through both headers for a potted tree to extend through. The decorative filler on the bar and header is hammered copper and brass (by others). The trick to this bar was the curved bullnoses and half rounds made on a curve. The finish is a NGR red mahogany methanol based dye with clear lacquer finish.
4qlk78.jpg

mbar1.jpg

mbar2.jpg

mbar3.jpg

mbar4.jpg

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

That is gorgeous Mike! Great work.
To say it was fun to build is an understatement! That must have been a total blast!
The homeowners must be thrilled

excellent piece of work!! now can you tell us how you made the curved trim?:thumb::thumb:

Thanks to all that have responded. It's nice to have feedback.

Materials for the bar included Mahogany plywood, veneer, and solid wood. I ordered three planks of 12/4 Mahogany that were 20" wide, 18' long. Much of the moulding was from solid wood. For the curved/bent sections, they were done with bent laminations.

Here is a better picture of WIP:
1zqfs0h.jpg

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

oh man, that must be some pretty sight even before you starting working on them. 3 grand worth of mahogany would keep me busy for a year or so as I chopped and botched it up.

It's like be careful of what you ask for...think about handling and cutting planks that large. Saying they were heavy is an understatement. I knew before hand that it would be a chore.

I've made it a habit of trying to order what I think I need at one time in order to get stock from the same load. It doesn't always work out. I've found out, that running out of hardwood, or veneers, and even plywoods in the middle of the job can lead to a different look with another order.

Personally, I wouldn't want all of the look to a project to be so identical that it looks fake. I advise the client that wood products being a natural product, that there will be variations in color and grain. They get invited to the shop during the build, so there isn't any surprises when I go to install. There are some facets that we as craftsmen have no, or very little control over, IMO.

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Talk about majestic. What a beautiful piece of work. Mentally staggering. The color choice is great for that piece; solid and dignified. The floral details make it especially attractive.