Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installation issue...

John Pollman

Hi folks,

A couple of days ago I got a message that Windows Update had some updates to install. I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) and I clicked on the the window to start the process. It said that there was one important and three optional updates to install. I decided to just install the important one at that time. I started the install and it took probably fifteen minutes and then I got a failed update message. I decided to deal with it later. Well I've tried it at least four more times and it's failed each time. I then checked into the troubleshooting info and it said that I could download it directly from Microsoft, so I tried that. It took a good half hour to download and then almost a half hour to install. It too failed!

Is there anyone out there running Windows 7 (64 bit) that has been able to install the SP1 update? Being that it's a Service Pack, it's probably a fairly important update to install.

Thanks for any input.

John

I've had a couple issues with the automatic updates, they just seem to go off into never land. This is when you get the message in the bar in the right lower corner of the desktop.

To work around it, I had to go into the control panel and install the updates that way. It seems to solve the problem for me.

Good luck!

I've got Win 7 Pro 64 on the computer I built this Spring, and I've had no problems with it. :type: What is it you don't like about it Tom?
I installed the Service pack 1 almost immediately after getting the machine up and running. Seems I did have a problem at first getting any Windows updates to load, then I remembered I hadn't registered the program and my computer with Microsoft. :doh: Since then, no problem at all. Have you done that yet? (That is, if you loaded the program yourself. If it was preloaded on the computer for you, I'd double check to make sure it was done as part of the builder's work. If not, register and you should be good.) If this was already done and you are having problems, I've got no clue. Jim.

I bought and installed W7 a while ago when I upgraded my laptop with a solid-state hard drive. I'm fairly certain that I registered the program once I was finished with the install but I'll have to check. One of the troubleshooting steps it to validate the program. I did that and it seems to have passed so that probably isn't the problem. I'm getting an error code 80004005 so I'm searching for info on that.

Thanks guys!

John

What is it you don't like about it Tom?
QUOTE]

Oh where do I start..........the biggest problem for me is compatibility issues with programs/products I already own but can now no longer use. I have a 250 gig hard drive that has years worth of photos on it that I cannot access because windows 7 64 bit does not recognize that drive (manufacture of drive acknowledges this issue)....I have a $150.00 scanner that is now junk...because the software will not work with windows 7 (Epson says no substitute for it.) I have "word" documents that cannot be read with out buying new Microsoft office. I have a $700.00 Photo shop program that will no longer run. I just spent another $130.00 for a screen color calibrator because mine is not compatible with windows 7....oh and now the screen will not maintain a calibrated setting because windows 7 thinks it always knows best and defaults back to a setting it likes not what I set it to default to....still working on this issue......anyone know how to fix that?
The list goes on and on.
It's like telling me I need to start speaking Chinese because it's "easier". Can it be done...yes...but that doesn't make things easier!

The word problem is like that every time you change machines. From what I have found, you have to buy another copy of Office. Just part of the game. Switch to Google Open docs and that will never happen again, from what I have been told.

Your ext hard drive? I don't know why it wouldn't open. Mine has been on 3 different machines and always worked. I do take all the installed crap off of it, soon as it is home. I turn it into a big thumb drive.

Tom,
As far as problems with Microsoft Office, I say DUMP IT! A couple years ago I tried to reload my copy of Office but the disc was damaged. It was an older version and I didn't want to drop a couple hundred bucks for a new copy. I checked out OpenOffice.org. I downloaded and installed it, haven't looked back! It works as well as Office ever did and it's FREE!

John

Dump it...thats easy to say...but the problem was I run my photography business from here at home and all my company documents/forms are all in that format already. So yes...I could just "dump it" and start all over again but that is not easy to do. I looked at some of the free office programs out there and yes they could do what I need...going forward... but would not allow me to use the years worth of work I had already created. I had about a two week period between the time my old machine went bad until I had this machine up and running and so I kept everything in a old fashioned journal book ($0.99) and I liked it and honestly thought about just going back to using good old pencil and paper...everything I needed was right there. I never had to "search" for folders or files...just open the journal and there it was.
They call them the "good ol days" for a reason.

What format is the hard drive? IDE? SATA? Have you tried an external case for the drive and access it through USB? That's how I got all the pictures and other documents off my Win 98SE IDE drive on to the new computer. Something like this: http://www.frys.com/product/6467282?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG Was a very slick operation!! I even pulled all my settings for FireFox and Thunderbird over that way. Didn't lose any bookmarks or emails, or addresses. I originally got the case to mount a DVD RW in so I could use it on my computer and the wife's without having to have two of them, back when they were expensive. Now you can get the drive for less than what I paid for the external case! The one I have is a ComStar. Has it's own power supply, and a small case fan at the back for cooling. Worth a try to keep from losing information. I use one of these for my SATA drive I use as my external back up now: http://www.frys.com/product/5374928?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG Or would a HD docking station work?
Yea, I decided to use Open Office also. We use it at work as well, for what little I need something like that. Open Office also says it will read all Word docs and and either translate them to the OO format, or you can write new docs and translate back in Word format to send to others. Haven't tried that.
The only item I've found I couldn't get to work, besides some old programs that were written for Win 98 and 2k that I knew I'd lose, is my USB card reader. I finally tried it on my wife's XP computer, and it's not working there either, so I've finally come to the conclusion that it's the reader that's dead, not a compatibility issue. Did take me a while to get the external hard drive to work via eSATA , even though it worked perfectly with the USB connection. Which reminds me, I need to do a backup!! :thumb:
At least 7 is backward compatible to most of the XP programs...most, but not all I'm sure. But I don't use that many programs on my computer. LOML's will be a major hit, I'm afraid, if/when we change it over. But it's only 3 years old now. It will go for a few more...I hope!!! :rolleyes: Jim.

Last edited:
Open Office will read any MS Office documents and spreadsheets. You should be able to install it and just open your office documents and convert them for use with OO.

John

My parents have an older USB drive that isn't Windows 7 compatible.

But if you have photos that are only on an older USB drive, you are playing with fire anyway. My experience with them is that sooner or later they WILL fail.

A lot of stuff isn't compatible with Win7 x64 because as a modern OS they've gotten rid of a lot of ancient stuff that hardware and software was still using. The tradeoff is speed and stability.