Holiday goodies...

John Pollman

We're going to my sister's tomorrow for a bit of a barbeque and visit with the family. Just a nice low-key way to spend the holiday. On another web site that I'm a member of, someone posted a recipe for "Rhubarb Cake". It sounded so good that I couldn't resist and had to make one to take along tomorrow. It just came out of the oven and it looks and smells so good that I'm afraid it may have a corner missing by the time it gets there. :)

rhubarb_cake.JPG

No problem, here it is. It's very easy to do.

Rhubarb Cake

Batter:
½ cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
4 tsp. Baking powder
3 cups flour
pinch salt

Filling:
4 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2” pieces
½ cup sugar
3 oz. Package of strawberry Jello (dry)

Topping:
¼ cup flour
3 tbsp. Butter
½ cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 cake pan with non-stick spray. For batter, in medium bowl combine butter, sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine baking powder, flour, and salt. When combined, slowly add flour mixture to milk mixture and beat with mixer until combined. Batter should be fairly thick. Spread batter in prepared pan, set aside.

For filling, in medium bowl combine sugar and dry Jello mix. Add rhubarb and stir to combine. When combined, place over batter.

For topping, in food processor combine flour, butter, and sugar. Process until mixture crumbles. Pour topping mixture over batter and fruit. Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes. (I did mine for about 55 minutes and it was just about right)

Remove from oven and cool.