I am so happy and a bit in disbelieif

I passed my Motorcycle safety driving course today. I had a perfect score. Only 3 of us passed out of the 10 and I am sorry the others did not pass. I made some very nice friends in the passed 4 days. So Tuesday I can take my certificate to the DMV and hand it over for my M stamp on my lic. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Congratulations Dave! :headbang:

I took the MSF course over 10 years ago, and put about 33,000 miles on my Suzuki GS500E in the first 4 or 5 years. I got to see parts of my state that I never would have been motivated to visit otherwise, and took several multi-thousand mile trips.

I have let work and other stuff get in the way for the last 5 or 6 years, so only an additional 7,000 miles or so in that time, including a ~2000 mile trip last summer to Grand Teton / Yellowstone / Little Bighorn Battleground / Devil's Tower / Mt Rushmore / Rocky Mt National Park.

Lots of fun; good memories! :thumb:

Enjoy!!!

Did you notice how I put "Enjoy" at the beginning for a change?

I had a Harley 74 when stationed at Camp Pendleton (So. Calif.). Can't you just see that combination: Hyperactive, snot nosed, 17 year old and a Harley rider.
The doggone thing had only one speed. I forgave it however, because that speed was wide-open.

It is a miracle that I am alive.
PLEASE don't be stupid like I was. We would like to keep you around for awhile.

Enjoy (again)

Jim

Safety Course

I will be taking the course as soon as I can schedule it in. Meanwhile I am working on this project.

1996 Yamaha TW200 that sat for many years in a carport. Carb was stuck solid. Looked like a pint of paint was poured into carb and let dry for 10+ years.

Got it running after a couple of days of work but now I need some new parts for the carb. Will be refurbursing, not restoring. Just want to get it a a safe reliable mode. A few rust areas that bother me as I want to stop any further rust before it becomes a structual concern. Other spots of light rust may have to wait.

Attachments

• tw200small.jpg
    tw200small.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 15
Well, I grandfathered in when Indiana went the motorcycle endorsement route in the '80's I think it was. Sold my last bike in '92. Yamaha 550 Maxim, couldn't seem to engage my brain when riding. Decided if I couldn't ride sensibly, I didn't need to ride anymore. Deer and turkeys around here scare me bad enough in my pickup now! Be safe and congrats Dave.

Thanks Jim and everyone, Jim at 57 I think I never had a bike just for that reason. I'd-a not been around to long. With years come's a sense to live a little longer and I'd like to think that this is something I have asked for for many years and finally It was granted. I have prayed my way through this and the doors keep opening. :)

Enjoy!!!

I had a Harley 74 when stationed at Camp Pendleton (So. Calif.). Can't you just see that combination: Hyperactive, snot nosed, 17 year old and a Harley rider.
The doggone thing had only one speed. I forgave it however, because that speed was wide-open.

It is a miracle that I am alive.
PLEASE don't be stupid like I was. We would like to keep you around for awhile.

Enjoy (again)

Jim

Congrats

Dave - Congrats on passing your test.

You and I ( I am 60+ years old ) can maybe can knock 50% of the motocycle accidents off the list by not being a 20 or 30 year old crazy something going 130 mph with our light off in the dark.

The other 50% of the accidents we are exposed to like everyone else. Just need to be extra careful and watchful.

If some cell phone talking, texting car driver runs us over in the "I never saw him mode" then that is the hazard we have chose to accept.

Just like using power tools, we just need to be real cautious and alert out there.

Enjoy the bike and safe travels.

Congrats on passing the class Dave.:thumb:

A coworker's husband teaches the safety classes. She says that each weekend they send several students home. Some folks either just don't pay attention or have never sat on a motorcycle and don't realize how heavy they are and are unable to control them. They are just too much of a danger to the class and instructors, so it's best they just aren't there.

A little of my motorcycle riding history

Be careful of the slick spots & gravel on the road.

I passed my Safety course on North Island Navel base 30 years ago...taught by a retired Chips officer who also was the California motorcycle accident investigation officer & was currently under contract nationwide to investigate motorcycle accidents. There wasn't much he couldn't tell you about riding & what caused accidents.
A few items of interest that caused accidents or kept you from getting away from the motorcycle if you needed to. Sissy bars & top trunks will trap you on the bike. Highway pegs without mechanical extensions for the brakes, you just can't always get your foot back to the brake peddle in time. Also look at the motorcycle gas tank before you purchase does it have a recessed gas cap if not are you ready for the accident to probably remove something from your body that you'd rather keep intact & working. He said that their investigations were high instrumental in getting recessed gas caps because of this one little problem.
Also be aware of slick spots & gravel this caused me three minor spills never broke a bone or had stitches or skin abrasions. My first accident at 25 MPH I did have one badly bruised right upper leg muscle from wrapping around a pole. At hotel circle San Diego because I was in the right hand wheel track hit a slick spot & slid over against a curb in a left had curve went over the curb & wrapped the leg around the pole.
My second accident was when the LOML & I were dating just after dark light rain damp roadway 30 MPH a slick spot left hand curve went clear down tick marks in the right side of the helmet right rain gear shoulder torn ski jacket shoulder torn rain gear torn at right hip right foot peg roughed up triple tree twisted out of alignment outside light lens broken. I stopped dead center of my lane fully upright at a complete stop. The guy in the Chevy Vega coming toward me said it looked like a hand picked me up & set me back on the road. The last words out of my mouth as I felt the rear of the bike let loose were please dear God help me. Prayers are answered.

Gravel caused the next accident at about 15 MPH I made a right turn off the highway & dropped over a rise in the road hiding the gravel into a left turn with the LOML on the back of the bike & the bike slid out from under us to the right The LOML’s shin got skinned no blood.

I felt the LOML tighten up her hold around my body & asked her why she did that & she said she saw the back of my helmet move from side to side & knew that I'd seen something that just wasn't right & she wanted to be prepared just in-case.

The LOML says I am a much better motorcycle driver than car driver & she is most likely right they usually are.

I always wore a Helmet & heavy ski jacket with reflective tape full length gauntlet style gloves jeans & boots. Yes sometimes it got little warm but I never got road rash. I will be dressed the same if & when I ride again.

One thing in helmets I don't like to see is the little half shell helmets they don't protect the lower back area of your skull. Our instructor said the Chip's officers used to wear them & they had way to many fatalities & bad injuries because of them.

DON’T EVER THINK LOW SPEED CAN’T GET YOU IT CAN I’M HERE TO TELL YOU.

Thanks, although I now have tags and lic everything is on paper as far as I am concerned. I guess sense I have lots of patience I will stick to parking lots and back roads for the time being.