Pet Urn in Spalted Silver Maple

Ted Calver

Staff member
I roughed the outside shape of this one a couple of years ago and then discovered I had no hollowing skills, so it sat in a box with the rest of the procrastination pieces (it's a BIG box). A few weeks ago my sister, who is deeply involved with animal rescue and always has a house full of critters, called and asked if I could make an urn for her beloved dog. I said I'd give it a shot but would do a practice piece first. This is the practice piece. It's 5.5" wide x 7" tall and will accommodate the ashes of up to a 65 pound animal. Threads courtesy of Lowe's plumbing section. Finish is 5 coats of waterlox, buffed and Ren waxed. Kinda looks like Bart Simpson. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

urn-111-a (Medium).jpgurn-111-g (Medium).jpg
urn-111-n (Medium).jpgurn-111-t (Medium).jpg

Larry,
The threads are created using a variety of threaded fittings available at Lowe's or other place with plumbing supplies. The key is to find something that has nice smooth functioning threads (some are tapered and only the first few threads will work well), offers some way to hold it in the lathe and has enough wall thickness to support creating a small flange for attachment. Here are the ones I played with (I used the middle one):
thread-b (Medium).jpg
There are good tutorials on how to do this. I used this one for inspiration, but just use your imagination:
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf

Last edited: