Back to my hollowing tool rig.

Tom Baugues

Earlier this spring I welded up a hollowing rig system but never got around to making any boring bars for it. I have plenty of 3/4" stainless steel rod for the bars and have been looking on E-bay for some bits. Does it matter if the bits are (HSS) or cobalt or carbide. If we are only cutting wood will any of them work? Also some of the bits were made for only right hand or left hand cutting. For our use will I be reshaping the bits anyway?
I bought a small 1/4" square set at Harbor Freight that had 5 bits in it. (2 right, 2 left and a pointed bit). Does anyone have good close photos of what they are using for bits?

Tom, I've used the Harbor frieght cutters for over 3yrs...they're cheap so you can experiement with grinds and such.

Vaughn also did a tutorial on his bars and bits click here

HSS is fine. The 5% or 10% cobalt bits are more heat resistant, but that's really only a benefit when used for cutting metal. Carbide bits are a whole other animal. There are a variety of carbide bits out there, but not all of them are suitable for woodturning. And they're not something you can sharpen yourself.

I sharpen my bits at the same angle I use for my scrapers. Here are a few pics of a large bit. I do small ones the same way. The grinding causes a burr to be created on the leading edge of the bit. The burr is what's doing the cutting.

Hollowing Cutter Setup 03 - 600.jpg

Hollowing Cutter Setup 04 - 600.jpg

Hollowing Cutter Setup 05 - 600.jpg

Hollowing Cutter Setup 06 - 600.jpg

Hollowing Cutter Setup 02 - 600.jpg

When used in a hollowing rig, I like to set things up so the cutting edge is hitting at exactly the centerline of the piece...

Hollowing Cutter Setup 01 Annotated - 600.jpg

Jeff thanks for the link. Actually I had saved that before but you brought it back to my attention.
Vaughn...you must have photos of everything. That's great because they help me alot. Thank you.

Jim thats just what i was thinking. Oh boy now i know why its bad for a guy like me to follow some posts here. Dang now my list of non completed half started projects is gonna catch up to mmmmm a guy in Nevada.;):D:thumb: