Clamps???? I need to get some help here please.

Rob Keeble

I need to ask a few clamp questions to get this one out of my system and get some knowledge on the subject.

So ....which clamps do you use and why when doing a glue up.

Pipe clamps

Bar clamps aluminum type

Bar Clamps steel type these are I beam but there are ones record used to make similar to this with a pin.

Bessy/Jet/ I dunno/ Parrallel clamps

What length. I always get caught with the Texan approach of bigger is better but i am finding it aint. Then you look at the ranges and :dunno::eek: what size ? Dont ask me what work i do. I am looking to be able to do general bits of everything. THis is why i bought long ones in past but they way too long.

Then also

What length of clamp do you use most often for quick clamping in the quick release bar clamps. Out of this range

Not only length but dept of jaw. Is 6 inch to short for general here and there clamping? What make? I am not impressed with Jorgenson.

I just never seem to have the right clamp and its either too much pressure or too little or the clamp is too heavy.

I got a big glue up coming and i am looking to "try do it right".

The aluminium bar clamps i have were a special buy at LV but i found out why the hard way. Not only do they bend but at the ends they only got one rivet which allows the head to move out of square.

I have a dozen pipe clamps in a rack behind a rollaway toolbox. I've used them twice in the last 6 years. Another way to look at it (and nearly everyone's answer will be different) is which clamps do I use the most:

A tie between 12" and 18" Bessey "Uniklamps" and 4" to 6" mighty mini's and Jorgensen bar clamps. All these get used a lot.

24" and above Bessey K-body clamps come in second. Used for carcass work and larger drawers.

6" 12" and 18" deep throat bar clamps come in third. For clamping things to the bench or other deep reach requirement.

Used least - 12", 18" and 24" bar clamps. Parallel clamps do a better job in almost all instances and are more versatile; clamp from the side, back, tips or full jaw depth.

Really long clamps of any kind get used only on projects that demand them. In my shop that's about once a year but, when you need them, they're just the thing. If I hadn't bought K-body clamps every time I saw a good price for a while I would get some aluminum bar clamps for panel glue ups. The parallel clamps can do this job and many others so I'm glad I didn't waste the money and space on the aluminum ones that, while nice, are limited in their abilities . . . at least in my shop. YMMV.

Last edited:
I need to ask a few clamp questions to get this one out of my system and get some knowledge on the subject.

Pipe clampsI have 4 - 5 foot pipe clamps and 2 - 10 foot pipe clamps. I got these sizes for a specific project I was doing. I also bought a couple of threaded couplings so I could join them together if I needed to.

Bar clamps aluminum type Haven't tried these but was always curious about them.

Bar Clamps steel type these are I beam but there are ones record used to make similar to this with a pin.I have 4 - 3 footers and 2 - 4 footers and these are my "go to" clamps. The ones I have are older than I am. I only wish I would have gotten more of these at the time since they were free but didn't want to be greedy. :doh:

I was really excited about getting this style of clamp about a year ago but have changed my mind since I had a chance to use the Bessey's at a cabinet shop. I can't stand them!! I'll take pipe clamps any day over this style of clamp.

What length. I always get caught with the Texan approach of bigger is better but i am finding it aint. Then you look at the ranges and :dunno::eek: what size ? Dont ask me what work i do. I am looking to be able to do general bits of everything. THis is why i bought long ones in past but they way too long.

Then also

What length of clamp do you use most often for quick clamping in the quick release bar clamps. Out of this range
I bought some of these at a flea market that are very similar to harbor freights. I have 3 - 6 inch, 4 - 30 inch and 1 - 36 inch. The 6 inch I uce were I would use a C-clamp and the others for other various things that I don't need the heft of the larger bar clamps.

Not only length but dept of jaw. Is 6 inch to short for general here and there clamping? What make? I am not impressed with Jorgenson.
See above.

I just never seem to have the right clamp and its either too much pressure or too little or the clamp is too heavy.

What do you mean by a big glue up? Do you mean something large or alot of panels? If it's panels depending on the length I can glue panels up all day long with just 8 bar clamps. As long as your joints fit tight with no clamp pressure then 15 to 20 minutes is more than enough time in the clamps. And yes someone will chime in that thats not long enough but I've yet to have a panel failure in 30 years. When I do doors theys are in the clamps long enough to wipe off the excess glue and shoot some 23 ga. pins on the back side at the joints.

The aluminium bar clamps i have were a special buy at LV but i found out why the hard way. Not only do they bend but at the ends they only got one rivet which allows the head to move out of square.

Hope this helps Rob. One thing I do realize now is that I won't buy clamps just to buy them. I'll let my clamping needs of the project decide what size or style clamp best fits the situation!:wave: :thumb:

Rob,

Don't Like:

Pipe Clamps: have a few, don't like 'em much, find them fiddly for adjusting, they are one of the last I reach for.

F-Clamps: Have 4 of the large Canadian Tire ones that go on silly sales pretty regularly. Bought them when I was just starting out (see the comment about silly sales) because the price was right. Don't like 'em much. The heads slide along the bar, which makes them hard to adjust, you really need three hands to get them in position. Not very accurate, but strong, and every now and then I need the deep-ish throat (5") they offer.

Do Like:

Light F-Clamps: I have a bunch of the Economy Fast-Action F-Clamps from Lee Valley. (These, I think, but I'm not sure, I've had them for 10+ years.) These hang right by my bench and I use them ALL the time for small/medium projects, or for clamping things to the bench. They're light, not too big, have plenty of clamping power, and the heads stay in place when you slide them along the bar. I mostly use the 12" size (the bar is 15" long) as that is a good compromise between light+compact size and usability.

Parallel Clamps: I have a mixture of Gross+Stabil and Irwin Parallel clamps. I've got 10 of the 24" size, and then just a few of the 40" long ones for really big jobs. The 24" size is pretty versatile and covers most of my needs for larger projects. I love these: Lots of clamping strength, large clamp pads, and a flat head will stand up on the bench and not fall over.

Still, every now and then even the 40" have not been long enough. But that is so rare that I have no intention of buying longer ones.
I do sometimes wish I had some 12" Parallel clamps, but my light F-clamps generally fill that gap.

The negative to mixing brands like I have, is that the heads are not the same size/thickness, which can be irritating at times.

Quick-Clamps: I was given a couple of the Irwin Quick-Grip clamps. I like them; I like their one-handed use ability, deep throat, and large pad. But I really have not used them that much. If I was starting over I might look at these instead of the light F-clamps, but I really am not sure.

Spring Camps: Doesn't everyone have a set of those spring clamps that go on for $20? These are definitely handy to have in the shop when clamping jigs or other small things.

Bar Clamps - in my opinion you should stick to 1" x 5/16" or heavier bars for these on glue ups. I don't like the deflection from the light duty clamps, but I do use them a lot for very small items and holding pieces in place till i get a heavy clamp.

Pipe clamps - have them, don't use them a lot.

Parrallel Clamps - I have the old bessey k-body, they have good clamping force, generally don't mess the edges up to bad, dont' deflect much under load. 30" would be ideal for me for glue ups, depends on what you make really.

I-Beam Bar clamps - never used, but they look ideal if you have a dedicated space for them. Highest clamping forces/low deflections, but they're very heavy.

I don't think there is any "right" clamp. It's always going to be a mix of money, space, weight, etc to fit your mix of projects.

This URL has a few answers that may help.

http://www.squidoo.com/Hand-Tools-Clamps#module13443077

As to the aluminum bar clamps I don't know what to tell you other than I have a few of the Harbor Freight ones & have used the living daylights out of them & had no problems.

The only thought that crossed my mine is maybe you don't know your own strength these are after all light duty clamps.

If the project is the right size for this style clamp it's the first clamp I grab because they are light in weight.

Remember if you need to really horse down on a clamp to get the item to clamp together maybe you need to back up & reconsider whats going on.

Pipe clamps

Bar clamps aluminum type

Bar Clamps steel type these are I beam but there are ones record used to make similar to this with a pin.

Then also

Hey Rob; Where were you when this was going on?
http://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...uot-JET-quot-Parallel-Clamps-(SOLD)&highlight

And this: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?33640-For-Sale-What-else-More-Clamps&highlight=

And this: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...Sale-More-Clamps-quot-C-quot-(SOLD)&highlight=

3/4" pipe clamps are the go to round here. Have them from 2' up to 10' And 9 out of 10 when they come out the bar clamps are not far behind.:thumb:

I have 8 24 inch K-body and use these most
I have 4 50 inch K-body and use them for most larger glue-ups
I have 2 40 inch K-body, which have two advantages
a) they were in stock when I need a couple more large clamps
b) they don't hit the garage door when it opens over my usual glue workplace

I have some pipe clamps, but hate them, and only use when I need something over 50 inches. Occasionally I will hook a couple smaller k-bodies together to avoid having to use the pipe clamps.

I have a couple 12 inch Irwin 600 pound one handed bar clamps. They are useless for glue ups since they push sideways as you increase clamping pressure, but they are great to hold work pieces and jigs (I do not have a wood vice in my shop).

The other miscellaneous clamps would probably not be replaced if they were lost, and are rarely used. Note that I have all the clamps I want, centered on 14 K-body clamps. Yes, I am a woodworker that does have enough clamps. I found the significant investment in K-bodies WELL worthwhile.

I've got 8 or 10 Gross Stabil parallel clamps and I think 4 Bessey K-Body clamps. Most of mine are in the 36" to 40" range, although I've got (I think) 4 longer ones in the 60" range. I prefer the Gross Stabil clamps, but they're no longer made. I've also got about 4 pipe clamps that haven't been used since I started using parallel clamps. I've also got a mish-mash of other clamp styles and sizes, but the 12" Irwin Quick Grip clamps are the first ones I grab when I need utility clamps.

Like Charlie, I'm at a point where I don't find myself needing or wanting any more clamps. I don't use the ones I have very often, but I appreciate having them available for the times I do need them.

Thanks again all that have responded.

I find it quite interesting that Chuck only has pipe clamps.

Next tool buying spree I will kill this problem off once and for all then i am done with clamp buying. :) Gonna watch for a good deal on some Besseys.

I have a variety of clamps. For parallel I like the Jet. With that said, I do like the pipe clamps. I guess it is because lots of folks don't like them and they give they to me:thumb:. I also can get pipe for basically free. I go to the local plumbing store and tell him what I need. If he has a piece of scrap that length, free. Good for him and great for me:D

Thanks again all that have responded.

I find it quite interesting that Chuck only has pipe clamps.

Next tool buying spree I will kill this problem off once and for all then i am done with clamp buying. :) Gonna watch for a good deal on some Besseys.
Hey Rob; The Jets are far and away better than any Bessey ever made.

That's my opinion, even though you didn't ask for it!