Get a load of this

Steve Ash

My friend Bruce and his brother Charlie own a logging business and a sawmill in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Right now they are hauling saw logs to the mill. When I walked up to this truck Bruce said, " I bet you'd like to have that load of wood all cut, dried and at your shop"?

I sure would but I'm sure I'd have to sell the farm to be able to buy it. It is a mixed load of Cherry, Beech, and Maple logs. The fella they are hauling and thinning it out for has 78 acres of this stuff, and they have just about 1/2 of it done. I was impressed when I went to the woods with Bruce how careful he and his brother along with their crew are to only remove the mature trees and not damage the new growth.

Attachments

• tnt.jpg
    tnt.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 41
Heck, you would think a couple of them logs could "accidentally" fall off a big truck like that....... :rolleyes:

I know, wistful thinking...... :D

It is nice to see that the wood is going to be used, here in Tokyo they cut down huge big nice trees and then chip it all, and then burn it.... :eek:

Unless I can get my hands on it first! :D

Cheers!

Jessie, here I was thinking that they were "short" logs. That comes from living near the piney woods where the logs are 40-90'. Sure would like to get some of that maple and cherry though.

I was impressed when I went to the woods with Bruce how careful he and his brother along with their crew are to only remove the mature trees and not damage the new growth.

I sure do appreciate that. We all need to be good stewards with our resources and I am glad your friends are acting responsibly.

It's too bad you couldn't score a couple of cast offs;) .

80k# gross?? not! we see logging trucks loaded like that running up-n-down the ozark hills on a regular basis.....i stay outta their way:eek: , most of the private haulers have a car running in front of `em watching for the DOT, i`ve seen more than one comming down a hill brakes just a smokin` jake bellerin`.....funny thing is they do it all the time! me i leave pucker marks in the seat pulling 10-15k at 35 mph......i`d like to have that load stickered in my shop too....tod