It's a patio!

scott spencer

There hasn't been much fine woodworking going on around here, but there's been plenty of bullwork and tool usage. Yesterday I finally laid the last patio stone, installed the edging, added paver sand, and compacted the whole thing together. There's still plenty of cleanup and landscaping to be done, but it's officially a patio!
thumbsup.gif
This was a long time coming, as it required demolishing an old wooden shed, building a new shed in a new location, removing the swim deck, resurfacing and rebuilding the original deck, adding curved steps to the pool, and digging out the whole patio area. Would you believe me if I said I'm tired?!
sweatdrop.gif
:thud:

It's about 365 square feet (13.5' x 24', with an 6'x7' alcove). There's a 4" gravel base, and a 1.5" to 2" stone dust bed under the stones. The stones are a man-made concrete cobble paver purchased from Lowes. The plan is to build a pergola over most of the area, but there are a few projects ahead of that, so it'll likely be fall at the earliest.

windows1054.jpg

windows1058.jpg
windows1056.jpg

Very nice job. I can only imagine the amount of grunt work that was involved. I used to do stuff like that when I was young and stupid and had a good back. Now I'm not so young and have a bad back. Only stupid remains!!

One tip however. I learned by experience - don't use the BBQ grill close to the vinyl siding. I would place the grill at the other end of the patio. I used my grill close to my vinyl siding and melted some of the siding trim from the 400 degree heat. Duh!! My wife was not pleased!!!

Thanks for the comments and tips gang. I was definitely younger when I started this....jobs like this sure take the wind out of my sails for a while. :crutches: I haven't tackled something of this magnitude since doing the roof in 2005.

I had planned to put something under the grill to prevent grease drips, but never gave the vinyl siding a thought....thank you! :eek: :thumb:

Here are some "before" pics:
windows1006.jpg
windows1005.jpg
windows1007.jpg

nuther "after" pic:
windows1039.jpg

Last edited:
That came out looking great, Scott. It dressed up your yard a lot. :clap:

...it required demolishing an old wooden shed, building a new shed in a new location, removing the swim deck, resurfacing and rebuilding the original deck, adding curved steps to the pool, and digging out the whole patio area...

In other words, a fairly busy afternoon for Allen Levine. :p