Moisture Meter

Dan Mosley

Probably should have been posted under tools but I thought it would get more of us turners looking at it here. Read about it on another site somewhere and picked one up today at Lowes - sale price is $10.00 (Inventory number- 78059) .

So I figured I would pick one up and play around with it. If you want one make sure you take the inventory number with you or they may be sending you to the garden section because alot of people working there have no idea what one is. It is in the plumbing or tool section.

I read on the other site that one guy tested it against his more expensive meter and it was very close and considered it accurate.......................

To tell the truth I would have not even bothered with it if it was not on sale because I have never used one and can easily get buy without having one. However, im glad I got it and it is fun to test the ones that are sitting to dry before finishing.............so I read Dry is 8-9% - and it depends where you live i guess....

Attachments

• P1010001_renamed_28108.jpg
    P1010001_renamed_28108.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
When I got mine it was in the plumbing section.........but the thread i read said it may be in the tool section to.......Take the inventory number above and have customer service look up up............thats what I had to do

I didn't get one of these but I did want to point out that it pays to check the Lowes website before going to the store. I had to replace an old garage door opener yesterday. I check the web to get an idea of the cost and noticed Lowe's had a sale, $25 off. I printed it and took it to my local Lowe's and got the sale even though it wasn't an in store sale. They were happy to do it.

Thanks for posting... I'll have to look into this next time I'm in Lowe's.... I just picked up two trees that blew down in a friend's yard... cherries... I generally cut the bowls, then spin them on the lathe for about 1/2 to hour at high speed... slings a lot of water out, then microwave for a few cycles.... generally gets them pretty dry, but would be nice to be able to measure and see for sure how dry I really got it.... right now I just feel the wood and guestimate how dry it is.

I never have used one because I have never had the need really. I bag mine up and let them sit for a long period of time inside the house in a open box. Wrapped with paperbag with a few holes in the opening only and it has worked perfectly fine for me.

However, for $10.00 im game............and there is a article somewhere (AAW or Woodturners of America or? ) where someone had this one and a much more expensive one and the results are very close...............I use it now and test my drying projects that are inside and its fun....................good luck...........I was at Lowes today and they had them. Just remember to take the inventory number with you for reference.

Chuck-----------[/B]Wow.......did not realize that Cherry had that kind of water content.......I had some Yellow Cedar once that was that wet and after I turned it down thin I sprayed the inside of the vessel over and over with MS and watched it blow thru the pores of the wood and spin out all over........Why?........ I thought I would displace the water with MS and thereby help the drying and lessen the potential cracking. I then bagged it up and placed it inside to dry......took it out about 2months later and left it in the garage - it never cracked..........Will it work on other woods? I can not say but I have done this on different pc's with good results..............see my next post in this section and ill show you the vessel I did this with

Last edited:
I got one and it was in the tool section. I checked it against two units that cost around $350 at my local lumber yard and it read dead on. I also checked it against a unit at the lumber yard in Colby and it again read dead on. So for $10 I got two.

I got one this morning. the clerk had me all over the store looking for it. It was supposed to be in tools, but wasn't. Looked in paint, plumbing, gardening, and by the pools stuff. It was finally located in electric.

thanks for the tip. Picked one up yesterday. Works fine. With the humid weather here, my rough outs are not drying in the shop. Have some in the basement and am checking them daily with the meter. Thanks again.