Curbside find

Tom Baugues

I was working across town yesterday when I saw several homes in a neighborhood that had trees recently cut down. A few of them had all the brush and limbs still at the curb to be picked up by the city to dispose of. I thought I might find something that I could use so I drove by the homes. Well, I did not find any wood but I did find this nice old Craftsman iron lathe waiting on the garbage men to haul it away. I hit the brakes and picked it up and brought it home. It has not been used in many years from the looks of the belt that is on it but it turns very smooth and everything but motor it there. I think it will clean up very nice. I don't need it but will clean it up and find someone who might.

Sorry for bad pics......small point n shoot camera.

Attachments

• craftsman lathe.jpg
    craftsman lathe.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 122
  • craftsman lathe 2.jpg
    craftsman lathe 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 87
I have been watching for one of these for a while. My grandfather tried to build one in more of the Gil-bilt style, but he became too sick to finish. I've wondered what size motor would you all recommend for these? Single pulley on the motor, or stepped pulley's. (I know, I need to visit the OWWM site and forum, but have ENOUGH projects :rolleyes:)

old lathe

I have an old jig/scroll saw by Craftsman thats the same color. Some one once told me that Craftsman made these tools to be interchangeable with the same drive assembely. Has anybody heard of that before? A body might be interested in a collection. Maybe me. Any serial numbers?

Last edited: