Milk paint

Snagged from DIY Help .com....Hope it helps

"Milk paint, also called casein paint, is sometimes found in older houses on walls or as a finish on antique furniture. As the name implies this paint was made using milk as the vehicle. It has a hard finish and is impervious to paint strippers. You can spot casein paint by its very smooth finish and pale, pastel colors including: yellow, pink, blue and green.

If you have milk paint on your walls it will probably be a problem to paint or decorate with wallpaper because it doesn't hold a conventional paint finish well. Before you repaint over milk paint use a primer–sealer to seal it and you will greatly improve your chances of success."

Why , what possessed you to use Milk paint :rofl: that is nothing but a beast that will cause you problems down the road. If you do use it you will remember I told you so :rofl::rofl::D

Thanks Dad:rofl::rofl: It is not on yet. I wanted to check some things out first. Just like you taught me, Dad:thumb::thumb:

So basically, the new stuff is just as bad as the old stuff?

ya son it is LOL If I were to use milk on anything it would be in a hunting cabin or something like that, most people who use milk paint are craft person's doing small wood crafts.

I can tell ya how to get the black closer by tinting useing a little red to make it warmer or blue to make it cooler, warmer is towards a earth tone black and cooler is towards a gun medal black.

LIGHT BULB!
Not trying to hijack the thread... The house I am working on presently was built in 1810. The current homeowner had stripped most of the paint and then had me give the rest a go..... We got down to the "cretaceous" layer and sure enough were stopped in our tracks. Nothing would touch this seafoamy green, nothing.....
I had to wetsand with turpentine and warm water and even then......... Think it took me a month to regrow fingerprints....
Must have been milk paint! :eek:

Yep Rich you hit the real thing. See Steve I am saving you from yourself lol Rich did you try hot water and with a water base stripper amd purple pads. The water will soften the milk paint

Yep Rich you hit the real thing. See Steve I am saving you from yourself lol Rich did you try hot water and with a water base stripper amd purple pads. The water will soften the milk paint

I used warm water and turpentine mixed with wet/dry sandpaper. Once I broke through to the bare wood that solution seemed to get under the paint and turn it to sludge. Still a fair amount of it in the pores of the wood and random spots that just wouldnt give up. We ended up varnishing over them. Actually looks pretty cool when all was said and done. I even tried a heat gun and a scraper which worked great with the top coats. Just bubble and scrape. Didnt faze the milk paint though............

If I may say so, I think the tenacity of milk paint that you encountered is part of its appeal. In my hands though, it has been a dicey finish, sometimes comes out very nice, sometimes I just have to start over.

Don't you love those kind of job's :rofl: When I see milk paint under something I stop what I'm doing and make a change order phone call. and the price goes way up :rofl:

I think I still have some welded to the underside of my fingernails from when the glove had a catastrophic failure trying to get it off the walls.
The homeowner and I roll our eyes and cringe whenever the subject comes up! :rofl: