This is fer the boids...

John Pollman

I just finished a big deck project and it passed final inspection this morning. I finished cleaning up and came home to put some tools away. Upon looking at some of the scrap I had left over from the deck, I had an idea. The deck was all pressure treated structure and composite decking and railing. The composite material is pretty expensive so it bugs me to just pitch scraps. I think this is a pretty good way to use up some of it...

birdhouse.JPG

I've got enough material to make probably at least eight or ten of them.

John

Actually the only adhesive I used was to glue a couple of pressure treated wood blocks to the bottom and the roof pieces. I used Titebond exterior rated wood glue. Applied the glue, clamped the pieces together and hit them with some brads with my pneumatic brad nailer.

The main portion of the house is a Trex 4x4 post sleeve so I just cut a 1-1/2" long piece of 4x4 and glued/nailed it onto the bottom piece. Then for the roof, I did the same thing. But I cut two 45's on the end of a 4x4 and then cut that off square a little bit below where the top of the side walls go. Then I glued and nailed the roof panels to that block.

Then just slide the wall section onto the base and put in a couple screws and the same with the top and it's all set. When and if it ever needed to be cleaned out, just remove a couple screws and you're all set.

John

Great idea, John. Might be a pretty good seller at craft fairs. Someone could get a few 8' 4x4 sleeves go into production knocking them out. :thumb:

That could work Vaughn. When I made this one, it took me probably 30-45 minutes. I didn't have a plan or drawings. It was all in my head and I worked it out as I went. When it was done, I liked the way it came out. The deck that I built was for my next door neighbor. I decided that I wanted to make one for them so they could hang it near the deck and it would match. Now that I had built one and I knew what all of the dimensions were I wanted to see how long it would take. I made a second one in probably fifteen minutes. But if I were to produce a number of them, I could have all of the pieces pre-cut and once that's done it only takes probably five minutes to assemble one.

I posted a picture of this on another forum and someone replied "How much for one?". :)

John

I just made four more and it took me about an hour and a half. But that includes setting up, cutting all the wood, assembling them, and then cleaning up. I've been thinking and I have a few people that would like to have one so now I've got some "gifts for the garden". :)

John