Putting my HF dust collector together..

Garry Foster

I have been setting up the HF dc I bought several months back. Got a Phil Thien baffle made and installed. Have a neutral vane rolled up and located. Today I ordered a35a from Wynn Environmental and found they get them from a company here in my town. So Monday I go to pick it up at the actual manufacturer and save shipping as well as a day. Didn't ask about the bags or turnbuckles...

If anyone installs a baffle with dowels the angle is 31.4 degrees +/-.

Or 58.6 degrees depending on your reference.. :dunno::dunno:

Congrats, Garry. The Harbor Freight/Wynn/Thien setup is some of the best bang for the buck in my shop. I've been very pleased with mine. It's not a 5 hp cyclone, but it beats the heck out of a Shop Vac for collecting dust and chips from power tools.

...If anyone installs a baffle with dowels the angle is 31.4 degrees +/-.

Or 58.6 degrees depending on your reference.. :dunno::dunno:

That's good info to have, Garry. Thanks. I forgot to measure mine when I did them, so I've never known the actual number.

You mentioned the neutral vane...when Phil Thien saw pics of my Harbor Freight DC, he mentioned that he questions whether the neutral vane helped or hurt the action of the baffle. Since mine is installed with just a press fit, I figure the next time I take my DC apart for cleaning I'll pull the neutral vane out and see if there's any difference.

Congrats, Garry. The Harbor Freight/Wynn/Thien setup is some of the best bang for the buck in my shop. I've been very pleased with mine. It's not a 5 hp cyclone, but it beats the heck out of a Shop Vac for collecting dust and chips from power tools.

That's good info to have, Garry. Thanks. I forgot to measure mine when I did them, so I've never known the actual number.

You mentioned the neutral vane...when Phil Thien saw pics of my Harbor Freight DC, he mentioned that he questions whether the neutral vane helped or hurt the action of the baffle. Since mine is installed with just a press fit, I figure the next time I take my DC apart for cleaning I'll pull the neutral vane out and see if there's any difference.

Thanks Vaughn..
I saw yours and bought mine the next time it got real cheap, but it has been in the box for months...

As far as the vane I played with it with no bags and a paper towel for a air speed indicator. Without the baffle much more air was headed up mostly opposite the inlet. Now with bags and filters on I know how things will change...I just don't know how...

Been looking to upgrade to the 35a myself. The paper filter was about $106.00 I think. I'm not sure if the paper or poly media is the one to get :dunno:
Cut out the "cross hairs" on the intake of the dc or else you will be cleaning out clogs all the time.

Been wondering though, if the bag that came with my hf dc is 5 micron what would the benefit be going to the 5 micron wynn ????

Last edited:
Been looking to upgrade to the 35a myself. The paper filter was about $106.00 I think. I'm not sure if the paper or poly media is the one to get :dunno:
Cut out the "cross hairs" on the intake of the dc or else you will be cleaning out clogs all the time.

Been wondering though, if the bag that came with my hf dc is 5 micron what would the benefit be going to the 5 micron wynn ????

Bob
Good morning.
The worst they have is the spun poly which is what I bought and its rated at 1 micron not 5. The other two are both rated at 0.5 micron. And that improves as they load up..

The spun poly has 100 square feet of surface area, compare that too the bag at about 35 square feet of surface area. That will decrease restriction big time. The paper and nanofiber both have 274 square feet. I went with the spun poly simply because it is washable.

In all my reading everyone was thrilled with the improvement, no one seemed to regret it. Ask me in a month or so how I feet about it by then.:type: