New Commissioned Turnings

Well finally got some turning in this week after being on the road over a month. These are commissioned pieces that a lady wanted. The first being a cheese platter with dome which is 15 1/4" X 2", a Elm salad bowl which is 13" X 5", and a Oak change bowl for her husband which is 7 1/2" X 3 1/2". The salad platter and salad bowl are finished with gloss waterlox. The first coat was flooded on each piece. The last 4 coats were thin and wiped on. The Oak bowl is finished with Anitque oil and still needs a couple of more coats. She agreed to $250 for the 3. I was happy with that.

Attachments

• Cheese Platter 1.jpg
    Cheese Platter 1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Cheese Platter 2.jpg
    Cheese Platter 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Cheese Platter 3.jpg
    Cheese Platter 3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Elm Salad Bowl 1.jpg
    Elm Salad Bowl 1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Elm Salad Bowl 2.jpg
    Elm Salad Bowl 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 30
  • Elm Salad Bowl 3.jpg
    Elm Salad Bowl 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Oak Change Dish 1.jpg
    Oak Change Dish 1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Oak Change Dish 2.jpg
    Oak Change Dish 2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
WOW! Really want to try one of the cheese sets. I love yours. All are great turnings. I just can't figure why some don't like the oak so much. I really like the look of it in all sorts of wood projects.

Bernie, you need to send some of those customers out to California on vacation or something. :p

Congrats on the commission...your customer and you both got a good deal. :thumb:

Thanks again.

Paul I do like turning oak but most don't.

Vaughn I was surprised when I got a call on my cellphone while we were still gone wanting to know how quickly I could get these done. The gallery had a cheese platter down there but she wanted a green one. The lady told her if they are as good as the displays she said she has 3 other ladies who definitely will want the cheese platter for sure.

These just paid for my Ci0 and Ci3 h5 easy hollower tool which is really nice for hollowing small turnings.

...These just paid for my Ci0 and Ci3 h5 easy hollower tool which is really nice for hollowing small turnings.

Cool. :thumb: If that Ci0 is unhandled, it'll fit into the 1/2" hole on the Monster Articulating Arm. The shank on the tool is a bit longer than the hole, but that doesn't stop it from working great. It's a potpourri bowl making machine. ;)

Thanks again.

Jim I wish out here I could get more but it just doesn't happen. We are a small Ag community so with the economy as it is and a drought things are really slow.

Vaughn you and I are on the same page. I did put it on the monster and boy does it cut nice. Finishing cuts on a potpourri pot I just made I just sanded the inside with 220 and 320.

Bernie, does the insert for the platter keep the dome centered? So you have to have it "raised" to do this?
The finish on these are amazing.
The change bowl in the picture looks volcano shaped, does it "tip" when trying to slide change out of it?

Wait a minute Bernie....a month on the road.....commissioned orders...... I thought you were supposed to be retired! :rofl:
Great looking pieces. The cheese platters are real nice. :thumb:

Bernie, does the insert for the platter keep the dome centered? So you have to have it "raised" to do this?
The finish on these are amazing.
The change bowl in the picture looks volcano shaped, does it "tip" when trying to slide change out of it?

Jonathan the insert is slightly raised to keep the dome from sliding off. The change bowl stands up pretty well. Actually is pretty stable as I made the bottom a little larger than the picture shows.