Cambridge Hybrid Pen

Ron Hossack

I did my first fountain pens based on the Woodcraft Cambridge Hybrid in Sterling Silver and Gold. I've come to the conclusion that this pen has too much bling and probably would look better in acrylic as I think it takes away from the wood.

The wood used on this pen is something I'm coming very fond of - Mango.

The sad thing about this is that the pieces of Mango I've had have laid about for a couple of years because they just looked blah.

The pen is finished in 4 coats of Med CA and two Thick CA and polished out by wet sanding with Tri-M-Ite polishing papers and then Brasso.

4861204WCambridgeFP_009__800x600_.JPG

This is the piece of leftover Mango before doing the finish.

6676504WCambridgeFP_010__800x600_.JPG

The second pen is a Woodcraft Cambridge Hybrid Woodcraft Gold and Sterling Silver with Ebony.

My poor method of 'point-n-shoot' picture taking doesn't do justice to the Ebony and you really can't see what is going on in this piece of timber with the underlying browns in the depth of this wood.

5687995WCambridgeFP_011__800x600_.JPG

Beautiful pens and I would not try to second guess the rich and famous. I made a high end kit for movie/music/playrwright buddy out in hollywood just for grins cuz I didn't know anybody out here flambouant enough to whip it out. He's commissioned a couple others. Trust the bling.............:thumb:
mj

I hear ya on the picture thing Ron! Very well done:thumb:...gonna have to look for some Mango. I guess the actual fruit won't do? I was going to grill some tonite!!!

Ron the fountain pen is really well done. I would never have guessed that the Mango wood would finish out like that. Very nice indeed. :thumb:
Thx ... I did use a 'sauce' I've been playing with to highlight light colored wood and so far it seems to work fine.

This was a plain looking piece of Maple before doing the finish and then using High Performance Poly and now the ambrosia really popped (bad pic from phone but you get the idea).

1127679TM-1__800x600_.JPG

Beautiful pens and I would not try to second guess the rich and famous. I made a high end kit for movie/music/playrwright buddy out in hollywood just for grins cuz I didn't know anybody out here flambouant enough to whip it out. He's commissioned a couple others. Trust the bling.............:thumb:
mj
You're not the first to tell me that ... :rolleyes: