New tool Gloat........

Stuart Ablett

Hey, I made this by hand, does it belong in the hand tools forum :rolleyes: ;)

I was in real NEED of a curved bowl rest, the long straight rest I have leaves me with the tool a fair bit off the bowl in certain situations, and for the outside, I end up having to move the rest several times, not the best idea.

I finally got the time today to spark up the torches, and the welder and get this done..........

bowl_rest_back.jpg
This is a fairly shallow bowl, but it works just fine, easy to get a single sweep on the last cut (no this is not anywhere near done, only rough shaped it).

bowl_rest_front.jpg
Again, same bowl (the second of the two Blue Spalted Keyaki) and it is shallow, but I think you can see how it will work.

I had a heck of a time heating the 3/4" rod up hot enough to bend it, but I did get it done. I then drilled a 10mm hole in the 3/4" rod, and tapped a 8.5 mm hole for a 10 mm bolt. I ground a flat spot top and bottom on the 3/4" rod, and threaded the bolt in, once it was nice and tight, I welded the heck out of it.

Used it only a bit, but it sure seems solid enough.

I'd LOVE to buy a nice set of these, but the funds are slim right now, so this will have to do!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

stu, i don`t think you`re going to buy one made any better.....nice job! try to find some kind of vacuum rig before you get to sanding on this one;) ...tod

Looks good. I need to make me one one of these days

Thanks guys, the hardest part was heating the rod up enough to be able to bend it, my little propane torches don't really put out enough heat!

I need some kind of forge :D

Cheers!

Curious

stu, i don`t think you`re going to buy one made any better.....nice job! try to find some kind of vacuum rig before you get to sanding on this one;) ...tod

Stu,

tod mentions in his post finding a vacuum rig before sanding. Is Blue Keyaki sawdust more harmful than other woods?

Denise

Stu,

tod mentions in his post finding a vacuum rig before sanding. Is Blue Keyaki sawdust more harmful than other woods?

Denise

I think all wood dust is not good for you, but I do not think that the Blue Keyaki is bad, say like Cedar, or Walnut, but Tod is talking about a rig that sucks the bowl onto itself, and holds if via a vacuum to the lathe, this way you get to work around the base of the bowl with nothing in your way.

I'm looking at building one, the biggest problem is the vacuum pump, they are NOT cheap here...... :(

Cheers! :D