Spray Finish Question - Regulator Filter

Dan Mosley

Finally got around to trying out a small Badger spray gun unit on some turnings I had. It is a Badger simple unit with a screw on glass jar (or jars). I have a small junky air filter that I used to test it out and I used Behlan laquer.
( I also have a Paasche that I have not used yet either)

Question: I am not used to using a spary gun setup but it is easy to use and clean. I was told I should get a good filter/regulator set up for it. I am not quit sure what to buy or who has a good deal on the setup.........
Anybody else have a setup with a good filter/regulator setup ??

Thanks............Dan

Last edited:
I've got an earlier model of this cheapie one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-air-line-filter-regulator-with-gauge-68228.html

I had two - one on each of two separate lines - but one of them developed a leak and I removed it. I bought a new one to replace the one that leaked, but haven't felt a need to install it yet. I use that line for my blow nozzle hose, so I want full blast with that line anyway. I have enough other moisture-trapping stuff in my air system that the extra water trap/filter hasn't been necessary. (I have a large commercial desiccant air dryer at my "air station", too.)

I've also got a mini regulator with a gauge on my spray gun, and a big one on my main 3/4" line coming out of the compressor tank.

If you're just using a hose from your compressor to your gun, I'd recommend getting something a bit better than the Harbor Freight cheapie regulator/filter. You really need for the air to be clean and dry for spraying finishes, so money spent now will save you finishing problems in the future. I can get by with the cheap one my system because I've got other things helping to clean and dry the air before it ever gets to it.

Dan, Your Badger is not a bad unit, just not too sophisticated, as spray equipment goes. It will work. I have an older Binks "Wren" airbrush that I like using for small spraying. It is a little simpler than my touch or detail guns.

SHARP used to make a nice regulator/separator for smaller spray outfits. I have seen them at paint stores and auto paint dealers. They were a blue/green color with the regulator integral with the separator housing. They work just like their big brothers the pros use. There probably are other makers out there selling similar units.

Aloha, Tony

P.S. Vaughn slipped in here while I was typing. He shows a smaller version of what I was telling you about. The HF one may work well enough for you. Just be sure to mount it so the moisture chamber is always at the bottom or the water will go into your air line, and that ain't a good thing.

Last edited:
vaughn, that commercial air dryer you have. are they readily avaible? i had a water problem this last month, and with a cooling rack that i had opened regulary..the present water trap didnt do its job,,

Larry, it was one I found on eBay. Made by Beach. It's the blue thing in this pic:

attachment.php

As I recall, I paid about $80 or $90 for it with a new desiccant pack in it, but it retails new for a lot more.

Attachments

• Air System 12 - 800.jpg
    Air System 12 - 800.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 65
for some reason i thought it was big box but that is a major savings from new price..what makes it so pricey??? i have a sharp in my finish room that is descant type and that was no where near that price you show on your setup..does it actually do that much better job to warrant $1700

Vaughn - Tony - I am a bit confused over what to buy so I looked on Northern Tool and got myself a bit more confused. I see that there are different sizes other than 1/2" and many different makes. All I need is a Regulator/filter to Y off my compressor with - 1 for my blow gun and the other to run thru the Regulator filter for my small sprayers.
So, What do you recommend ?

Pictures below of the one i was looking at to buy and the other pictures are of my compressors current set up...........below are the spec on the one I was looking at...............thoughts ??

Ingersoll Rand Air Line Regulator — 1/2in., 215 CFM, 250 PSI, Model# R37341600VS

Attachments

• 404800_lg[1].jpg
    404800_lg[1].jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 10
Dan, the I-R unit you showed is just a regulator. Essentially the same thing that you already have on your compressor. It's not doing any filtering and it doesn't have a moisture trap. Here's the same unit with the filter added:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200392578_200392578

That said, are you sure the line coming out of your compressor is 1/2"? It might be 3/8" or 1/4". If it's smaller, you can likely get by with a less expensive filter/regulator, like the Harbor Freight one I linked to earlier.

Thanks for the information...............I am not sure of the size but I can take off a pc of it to measure.........probably easiest way to tell......no day off for a bit but will let you know and thanks - that claifys things

For air brushing or just spraying paint, your best air supply should be dry, and cool. My technique is to locate the regulator and filter as far from the tank as possible. I've used many different types of filter/regulators including the ones that take a toilet paper roll.

For the money, a combination filter/regulator/gauge like this, works very well. Harbor Freight has one similar, for around $30 or less, but I couldn't find it on their site.

Locating the filter/regulator far from the tank performs a few functions. The filter will trap more moisture and contaminants than one on the tank. The reason for this is that at the tank there is blow by from the air pressure. Filters there, IMO, are sorta useless.

If your compressor is in a small space, your option would be to pipe from the tank as high as possible, turn a corner and pipe as far as possible, and then return down with a QD fitting. It's at that point, where you attach the filter/regulator. In the crude drawing below, you can see a supposed layout. The piping comes out and there should be a drain petcock below. The pipe rises and then returns down, with another drain. The filter/regulator is above that drain. A quick disconnect should be there, or a multi-outlet manifold can be added with more than one regulator. Some air tools, like an airbrush or a spray gun may only need 50 PSI or less. Other tools like a brad nailer may need 90 PSI.

Having some travel with the piping allows the air to cool somewhat. Having the air to travel up, allows moisture to be separated.
aircomp.jpg

masterlogo.jpg

movingplane1.gif

Vaughn - Mike...............If I get the 1/2" Astro or Rand Filter/Regulator and 1/2" hose and reel - hook them up with piping as shown.........is this a better way to go then using 3/8"..............???? thanks Dan

Dan, That Astro filter/regulator Mike posted the link to is just what I was referring to when I told you about a "Sharp" unit I knew about. That would be similar, but on a smaller scale from my Binks unit. Mine has about a 1/2 gallon cap moisture trap and places for up to 4 regulators. (I only use 2, one for spraying, one for blowguns and air grinders) Vaughn has the idea for the system piping but Mike's layout is correct to get as much moisture out of the airstream as possible before it gets to any moisture filter anyway.

1/2" hose is OK if you are going to use a lot of air, like sandblasting, but the average guy would only need 3/8". I use 1/4" for my spray gun line and that hose never gets used for anything else. The grinder line is 3/8" and I should have a lubricator on it, but haven't yet. Using 1/2' pipe for your runs is minimum. 3/4" would be better, if you don't mind doing a bunch of plumbing fitting.

I guess I must fave confused you more by now. Sorry. Just trying to help. Call me if you need to and we can talk about it. You should still have my number.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Tony thanks................waiting for a day off and ill do a layout of the way im going to put it together and post it........or call.......right now ill just order the filter and hose that I need..........ill keep you posted and thanks for the help