Shop Apron

Rob Keeble

Spent some time looking for a shop Apron online yesterday. I need to do something about this once and for all.

But here is the thing. I find they all to narrow.

can anyone with a little added weight in the middle :D please let me know which shop apron you use.

Anyone know of a store offering shop aprons where the same pattern but different sizes are offered.

I am thinking of having SWMBO make me one that way i get what i want but i cannot believe the problem i have is unique.:eek:

Then do you keep a rag in your shop apron as a rule. I am prone to wiping my hands on my pants near my pockets. Trying to change my ways and been using dispossable blue shop towel.

What other solutions do you all use.

I've got one of these and like it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/shop-apron-improved-fire-hose-bib-apron-85021.aspx?kw=apron&processor=content

85021_BRN.jpg-312x312

Had my wife make me one. She used the stretchable ribbing - like the sleeve cuffs and bottom of a sweatshirt - around the top to make it sort of a 'turtleneck,' with velcro as a closure. One set of tie-straps around the middle.

No pockets - all they do is collect sawdust.

The apron I linked to has this feature

Now has industrial strength mesh-bottomed front pockets so fasteners stay in but sawdust doesn’t build up.

Unfortunately I have the older version, and the pockets do indeed fill up with sawdust...

i have the lee valley version but it has been modified by my daughter. its good starting point rob, the pocket need mesh in the bottom to avoid the sw dust and the lee valley one is big enough for the wiping part,, you wont use the rag only when you remember most of the time the pant legs come first:) another thing i have seen is to make the pencil pocket side ways and had some others normal.. the positioning of these can be critical, they seem to be right where they shouldnt and break leads every time you lean over..so do some home work and make a proto-type before going for the final style, and the clip type buckles work well for the neck and waist area for me at least.

I buy teeshirts online for 3 dollars each and where them when I work, 10 dollar sweatshirts in the winter.
I keep a stack of them so I can change daily or twice a day and dont worry about staining them or wiping my hands on them. When they get too ratty I toss them.
Being fat, I find aprons too confining and I dont like hanging tool or walking around with tools in my pockets. If I needtoo, I can clip a tool to my belt or get a holster for that tool(which I have, and never use.)

I have a denim apron, similar to a cook's apron, that I never use. It was good when I lived up North (Virginia, Pennsylvania), but it is too hot here in Texas, except when I am turning, and use it as an easier way to shake off the flying chips.

My apron has a pencil pocket, but even that is too much extra... I like to keep things inside the apron, and not add weight and heat.

Shop Aprons

1) Rob, I have three rolls of TP scattered around the shop. A square wipes a bit of paint or glue off of the fingers or picks up a smear off of the bench or a tool. I also use paper towels.

I use the bandsaw and cut the roll of paper towels into thirds which end up being about the size of a roll of TP. This is used for heavier, larger or gooeyer (that's a word?) things like wiping up rust after being doused with penetrating oil.

2) Charlie, use an old shirt for an apron. Just put it on backwards. That puts the pocket behind you where the sawdust rarely goes. You can use a light weight cotton short sleeve shirt in warm weather and a long sleeve flannel shirt when it is cool. It only takes one button to keep it on or put a clip on it.

I have two aprons. I used one once or twice. The other is a Tormek apron which I have never worn. I threw the box away last week so it would take up less room. I'm sure you know the story---Too good to throw away, but never use it. If anyone wants the Tormek apron, they can have it. PM to me. I have no idea where the other apron is residing.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
I have an old denim apron that was my granddad's. I usually only wear it when I'm gluing or applying finish and worried about getting it on my clothes. I also wear it sometimes if I'm roughing out some real wet wood on the lathe. It keeps my shirt and pants a bit drier. It has a large pocket in front, but I wear it inside out so I don't fill it with shavings.

Most of the time, I'm wearing shop clothes, so I don't really care if I get anything on them.

I had dad sew one up out of scrap material, as he saw one he liked at a woodworking show a few years ago. (it turned out to be custom)
C.W.McClellan (at prtcnet dot com) was HIGHLY recommended over at Sawmill, so I talked to him before hand, and sent him dad's "pattern", dad was extremely happy with it. Remove the dots on his name and you can decipher his email address.

I generally don't like aprons, but have considered a vest (can use on a ladder as well).

I don't like aprons. They don't seem to keep the dust and chips from getting all over my shirt. I wear an old nylon pullover unlined jacket. I cut the sleeves off at the elbow so I don't get the sleeves caught in things that spin. btdt :(
The dust and chips slide right off and I just wipe glue off my hands on it. Not very pretty but it works for me :thumb:

another thing i have seen is to make the pencil pocket side ways and had some others normal.. the positioning of these can be critical, they seem to be right where they shouldnt and break leads every time you lean over..

That is a great idea, Larry! I've had that myself many times that the pencil breaks off -- actually breaking is the good part. Once or twice it jabbed me with the lead before breaking -- ouch!

can anyone with a little added weight in the middle :D please let me know which shop apron you use.

Rob I don't exactly fit your criteria :rolleyes: ... but I'll answer anyway. I use a basic canvas apron (mine is from Canadian Home Workshop) And I now wish it had a sideways pencil pocket like Larry mentioned. :thumb:

I've never tried the LVT style of apron, and I do wonder if I'd like the side-opening large pocket or not. :huh: I do like having 3 pockets, and while the sawdust is a minor irritant as it collects in the pockets, it really isn't that bad.

My shop is in the basement, so I like just popping it on when I go in there. When I go for an extended shop session I do change into old clothes, but I do also just pop down for 15-30minutes at a time on other occasions -- like before work in the morning -- when I already have "nice" clothes on, so the protection of the apron is nice.

I just use a canvas William Sonoma kichten apron that was a wedding gift almost 12yrs ago. Never used it in the kichten so it went out to the shop about 7yrs ago. It has a slender pocket for a meat thermometer that I put a pencil in, but I never remember to put it back so I loose it anyway. :doh:I don't wear it that much, but it does the job for me....

I don't use any. I have several old jeans and t-shirts I use when enter the shop.
I have a coat hanger at the door of the shop and I get changed each time I go in and out. That allows me to be in the shop for longer periods:D

I have a doormat where I wipe my feet if momentarily I have to go to the rest of the house.

I even change my shoes for safety ones, they are very good for resting heavy board on the toes when moving them around ( apart from safety of course).

This routine that at the beginning I regarded as a nuisance, has revealed itself very good for keeping LOML happy, me relaxed in case of having any spill on my clothing, and as I said allowing me to spend more time in the shop.