Marking box

Phase one of what I'm hoping will be three or four phases{sections/units}, but after all the flaws in this attempt...:dunno:
I do have a new found respect for those of you with skills! the only skill I'm enhancing at, is camera angle flub hiding. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, it's not all 'that bad' and I'm thrilled it's useable, but I have a terrible habit of flying by the seat of my pants.
Plans{those other than in my mind} just can't seem to find their way to paper for me ...Am I doomed to eternal unhappiness in my work?

FWIW...Red Oak{solid & ply}, Mahogany & Walnut slathered with a mixture of Blo, Min-wax antique oil & MS...debating on drawer liners of some sort, or not.

mini-DSCF4080.jpg mini-DSCF4100.jpg

mini-DSCF4107.jpg mini-DSCF4111.jpg

mini-DSCF4122.jpg mini-DSCF4123.jpg

mini-DSCF4125.jpg mini-DSCF4130.jpg

mini-DSCF4134.jpg

Hope ya all had a great weekend!

Ken,

That is really neat.

I have a strong desire for organization and most items have a "Home" place. Some of the "Home" places are not logical nor ideal because that's where it was in the beginning and when I move it, I can't find it.

I seem to keep moving things as I add new tools. I will be glad when it is settled down. That is when I hope it is as organized as your marking chest. I hope it is half as good looking as your chest.

Enjoy,
Jim

Last edited:
That's a great looking and well laid out storage chest Ken. I would be proud of it. Some of that inexpensive rubbery shelf liner would make a good drawer liner and keep things from sliding about as the drawers are opened and closed; just an idea.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

There was no pause in the flaws:eek:
One would think that, with as many flubs I've brought on myself over the years, I would be enthusiastic about drawing out plans...Grrr...just can't knock it into my noggin...must be the mule in me :rofl:

Embarrassing as it is, I'm posting these with the hope it may help out some other fool like myself into learning to think things thru :doh:

The one flaw that bothers me more than most is this top left drawer front...I've never attempted or put as much thought into grain orientation as I did with this box...and dummy me flipped 'top to bottom'/'front to back' on this drawer front :( here's how it was supposed to be...
mini-orig grain orientation.jpg

the rest in no particular order of offense...

Instead of taking the time to set up the router table, I tried to bevel the drawer fronts with my R.O.S. :eek: see lower left for the worst one
mini-bad beveling.jpg

forgot to cut dadoes for the drawer dividers/runner holders...glued & brad nailed now :(
mini-Drawer dividers.jpg

not a flaw, but was unhappy with the first set of pulls I jerry-rigged{looked too small when mounted}
mini-first set of pulls.jpg

I cut down the piano hinge but should of went a half inch or so shorter in length, you can see the rabbit cuts from the outside - where I should of done a stopped rabbit and kept it hidden from view.
mini-Hinge flaw.jpg

my original lid...I liked the bookmatched pattern so much, my brain seized during lay-out when attempting to measure out from the center...way out in left field on that one :rofl:
mini-division problems.jpg

Tried to save it, but again the math gods were laughing at me as the overall assembled size was off{short} by 3/8th's...guess I better add two or three more rulers to the box contents:huh:
mini-attemted save.jpg

oh yeah, not sure if you can see it with my sad photo skills, I tried adding a curved face/overhang thingy on the lid to use as a lift...might of worked ok but as the above pointed out...:doh:
mini-lip attempt.jpg

Never ending amusement in my shop :D

Ken you made my day. If thats your best flaws we ought to have a flaws contest here. i can assure you that you wont win :)

But jokes aside i think you have done all woodworkers a good turn by showing us the finished item on which unless one is aware you cannot spot the error. Just goes to show we are way more critical of our work than someone on the receiving end.
Btw Glenn mentioned rubber liner, pm me if you want a few pieces of self adhesive rubber for those draws.

sent from my Atrix

ken you dont need to show us your flaws.. it looked fine as it was.. but since you did,, here is a tip use chaulk to mark your layout of grain and on the back side where it wont be seen use pencil.. your not alone in making grain matches wrong:)

Thanks again everyone:) for the comments, tips/suggestions{and the generous offer Rob :thumb:}!!!

I have no problems with admitting my woodworking shortcomings, flaws, out & out screw ups etc. etc....Doing it in such a knowledgeable & friendly place as this, how can one lose...
Down the road, my future work will show if I paid attention to your all's help, and if so, the embarrassment will be justified...& if not, I prove I'm a hack :eek:

Besides, can't have you all thinking I'm smart, good looking 'and' talented ...how's that song go?..."2 outta 3 ain't bad" :rofl:

...Embarrassing as it is, I'm posting these with the hope it may help out some other fool like myself into learning to think things thru :doh:...

Well, now that you point all that out, I don't like your toolbox anymore. It's horrible man, just horrible. It'll never work now. :rofl:

We all make plenty of mistakes. Part of the learning curve, as I see it. Don't start kicking yourself too hard until you start making the same mistakes over and over. ;)