How do you remove bark?

on maple its not to hard,, take look at it like a large orange, take start a strip with a hammer and screw driver or chisel and get it opened up then just work under it witha thin pry bar after that to get the rest off.. and when sending wrap in plastic bag to keep the moisture in the wood and not soften your box..gonna be pricey girl.. green wood weighs up fast:D:thumb:

Burly knobby spalted crotch??? :eek: hope I never get one of those!! :crutches:

Maybe there's an ointment for that? :rofl::rofl:

sorry couldn't help myself... been lurking and greatly enjoying these forums for a few months now and couldn't let that one slide by... :eek:

Guess I better go find the forum for saying Gday and introduce myself now :wave:

Draw knives work well on a log or longer piece than what it looks like you have. The chisel or pry bar method will probably work best for your situation. I am under the understanding that wood cut in the summer loses its bark easier as the layer is filled with sap, winter cut wood, the sap is down/gone thus the bark is tighter to the tree/wood. :dunno: That is why I was always told to get wood harvested in the winter for natural edge bowls. :huh:

Honestly you are probably going to split that quite a few times to get to the piece you want, it might not have any bark on it by the time you get to it.