Stanley #1

I've seen the LN version of the Stanley #1. In fact, some friends and I gave one to a woodworking friend on the birth of his daughter. Had it engraved with her name and birth date.

In my opinion, it's too small for adults to use comfortably. It might be good for the daughter to use when she's young.

Mike

Well yesterday morn, myself and the glass hunter, good friend who collects Imperial Slag glass, set off for a morning of hunting. He told me of a place where he had seen some planes. He would charge me only breakfast, so show me the site.

Well I seen a #1, #2 and several Keen Kutters, Bedrocks, Unions, basically all kinds of them that I have never seen. None of them showed bad wear or rust damage.

I start looking the #1 over real hard, $600, bit steep for me but a fair price I am thinking. The more I look at this #1 the more I want it. I set it down and walk off. No sense impulse buying. I come back a few minutes later and the light caught it just right. The whole toe had been snapped off. It had either been brazed back together. I left it set. Figure if it took me this long to find one, I will find another. I did take some pics with the phone, I will try and post them later.

I walked out with a 71 1/2 router plane. If I bought the #1 or #2 I was going to sale them anyways. Just too small for me hands and I can't seeing setting them on the shelf. The # was a type 10, from what I could tell from the blade marking.

i wouldnt have wanted a broke no. 1 steve anyways:) first off it would br4eak me further than i am already and two once broke not much value.. but the others sounded interesting..and you will only get my cell to work if i am on a tour.. dont carry a electronic tether any other time .. Edison made the land line i use them still:)

an i have seen some, fondled 2, bought zero!

Steve you have the plane collectors disease real bad. :rofl::rofl: $600 bucks man thats way too rich for a plane. I could never use something that cost that much and just to look at well :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Well have you ever seen a Stanley #1?

Only photos on the net, never real. Of course, I don't really rust-hunt much.

I do remember reading the shameless gloat of the "$20 #1" that someone scored at a tag sale (garage/estate sale) many many years ago when I still followed the oldtools mailing list.

ps: Rob, $600 could be a good deal. I remember seeing price of over $4000 for mint #1s (If I found one, I'd sell it instantly and use it to buy a Sawstop. Sorry Neanderthal friends!)

I have seen and held a #1 Stanley. I knew someone who had a very fine collection. That said, a LN #1 costs way less, and if you need to own a #1-8, that's another way to go, you can use it, and it won't break the bank. It's not a very useful tool though, just fun to look at.

As far as the price goes, I wouldn't buy a broken #1, unless I was to part it out and sell the parts. IMO, a broken collectible plane really isn't collectible, and there goes the value. At $600, repaired, it was priced way too high, again just my opinion.

I think you'll love that 71.5. A nice router plane is incredibly useful, and quiet.

ps: Rob, $600 could be a good deal. I remember seeing price of over $4000 for mint #1s (If I found one, I'd sell it instantly and use it to buy a Sawstop. Sorry Neanderthal friends!)

Art no need to be sorry i would do the same in a flash. That plane is too tiny to use so if one could buy at $600 and sell at $4000 its a no brainer to me i would join you with buying a sawstop. :D Besides you can get one a Lie Nielson for couple of hundred if you want one to use that bad.;)