My weekend trip to see Mom and Dad. Caution: picture heavy.

Jim O'Dell

Well, I mentioned in the Friday thread that my parents decided to move to an assisted living center, last Tuesday!!! LOML and I went up to kind of go through things, see if there was anything we wanted, and help with some plans for the new apartment. I went through the shop stuff and picked out a few things.
First, compressor. dscn2930.jpg It's not great, but it works and has much larger capacity than my 2 gallon portable.
Second, jars of screws and bolts and various other items. dscn2931.jpg There is also a segmented metal tray with smaller screws in. Forgot to get a picture of it. Not real sure what some of these items are. dscn2932.jpg
Third, Box of files and rasps, and some drill bits of various sizes. dscn2933.jpg I could have had a bunch of big bits, but they had an end that fitted into a slot like they were machinists bits. Too large to chuck up into anything I have. There was also a thread cutter. Pretty wicked looking, but nothing I could use.
Fourth, these three pictures of the same thing, we couldn't figure out what they were. May also be machinist tools. dscn2934.jpgdscn2935.jpgdscn2936.jpg Anyone have an idea???
Fifth, pics of an outside mic, and not sure what the other box is. Inside mics of some sort? dscn2937.jpgdscn2938.jpg And a picture of the ends of the box with, I presume, a model number. dscn2939.jpg
And finally, no picture of this because it's already buried in the garage between the mower and the cart, a small generator. Often times we have wished we had one when we lost power. It won't run the whole house, but it will keep the fridge and freezer going, or run the microwave to be able to cook something to eat.
I still have a few pieces of lumber to bring home. LOML brought some Fostoria glass ware home. Neither one of us know why. :huh: And we are trying to decide about a punch bowl, ladle, and glass cake plate and cover. Not something we would ever use, but the punch bowl is supposed to be worth about 800.00.:eek: Mom said to sell it and keep the money.
Now to go back up next weekend and help them move. This is not going to be fun. :rolleyes: Jim.

I'm sure it wasn't easy for you, and it won't be any better next time. They, I'm sure, didn't find it easy to make that decision. When it's over, you will find comfort and satisfaction in knowing that you helped them through a difficult time in their lives.

It's tough. Went through that with my dad who fought tooth and nail about going, but actually enjoyed all the new friendships that he made. If the town he had lived in had in-home care we could have opted for that, but there just wasn't.

I wish your parents well and lots of new friendships.

at least they are alert and know whats is going on and made the decision themselves, they are doing what they want done and you are there to help them threw it..some parents dont have kids that care that much, :thumb::thumb:

You are all very right. They already have friends there. The problem is almost all of the residents are women. Won't be many guys for my Dad to shoot the bull with. And no shop to tinker around in, or others that need things fixed. The complex has a handy man on staff to work on the building. I think they would have stayed in their lake house if they felt they could have longer term. Now if they can sell it. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 24X24 shop (currently divided into shop and living quarters), 12X24 detached building/shop/boat storage. RV shed. Cellar. 1.3 acres. About 150 yards off Lake Texhoma. My youngest niece is going to go ballistic when she finds out Grandma and Granddad are selling it! Jim.

You are all very right. They already have friends there. The problem is almost all of the residents are women. Won't be many guys for my Dad to shoot the bull with. And no shop to tinker around in, or others that need things fixed. The complex has a handy man on staff to work on the building. I think they would have stayed in their lake house if they felt they could have longer term. Now if they can sell it. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 24X24 shop (currently divided into shop and living quarters), 12X24 detached building/shop/boat storage. RV shed. Cellar. 1.3 acres. About 150 yards off Lake Texhoma. My youngest niece is going to go ballistic when she finds out Grandma and Granddad are selling it! Jim.

why dont you buy it jim?? thats one fine piece of real estate:eek::eek:

That is a sad and emotional transition that I did not have to go through. Both of my parents lived in the family home up until the last couple days. I was also lucky from the standpoint that each of them was ready to die.

I bring Glenn in on my tool purchases...after all he is going to inherit them and he really investigates them so he knows what's good and what gives problems.

I am ready to die, which should help the kids emotionally. Don't get me wrong. I want to live every possible second that I can. However, the most horrible thing I can picture is living when my brain becomes a vegetable. The problem for me is to be able to opt out before I don't have enough sense to do so.

Bless you,

Jim

That sounds like philosophy not wood working.

Just to make sure I haven't painted the wrong picture here, both parents are still in pretty good shape. Dad is losing his eyesight, and therefore will not drive. Self imposed thank goodness. Mom still drives but has her issues with joint pain. Both are still very sharp mentally. This is not a nursing home, but they have their own apartment that is in a complex. There is a nurse on staff for emergencies. There is a common meal if they choose to do it at lunch. But they have a full kitchen to prepare their own meals. Free to come and go as they please. Just bought a new car a couple months ago. So not a heavy-hearted thing. Sad that Dad's eyesight won't allow him to build and repair things as he has done all of his life. This is something they have been contemplating for a year or more, just made the decision all of a sudden. At least to me, I'm sure it wasn't that way for them.
I'm hoping they will get a computer to make it easier for me to write. They haven't had internet before, but can have it now. I'll even donate my old computer I was going to put in the shop and get an updated video card in it so they can plug into the HDMI input on their big screen TV so maybe Dad can read easier.
Larry, I can't afford it!! It's not high end, but LOML and I are stretched pretty thin as it is with her medical issues this past year, and some just about to happen for me. No way I could take on that type of payment for something I might see 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe if we were close to retirement.
Well, I'm rambling. Thanks for all the comments! Jim.

Last edited:
Jim,
As for the tools, pix 5-7 might be some type of collet but I have no idea how they are used. Pic 9 going from left to right appears to have 2 inside mics, a small hole (bore) gauge to be used with outside mics, and the balance are telescope gauges also to be used with outside mics for measuring the diameter of a hole. Pic 10, on the right, is inside mics. Feel free to ask questions about use, etc.

And as for rambling--no problem. Do it here if it helps you feel better. We are family you know.

Last edited:
Weekend loot #2

Got to Lake Texhoma about 8:20 Sat. am. They had been working with friends for about 45 minutes already. Most of the heavy stuff out on the lawn, a few things loaded. We filled up one trailer (about 14'), 3 pickups, and and 2 small vans, were unloaded, mostly installed, except Mom's corner desk, and at lunch by 11:00!! Mom and Dad had lots of friends helping and it went quickly. Went back to the Lake house and talked, helped one couple load some decorative stones that were promised to them. I brought 17 of them home. I think Bob and Carol took close to 45 to put around their pool. I'll go shoot a picture of ours before I finish posting this. Dad and I went through his shop again, and I grabbed another load of misc. stuff. A few quick clamps, several pipe clamps, corner clamps, C clamps, SAE and Metric wrenches, air hose, heavy extension cord, drill bits, and two items I forgot to get last weekend:
The B&D 18 volt battery I'm going to try to rebuild one of my Ridgid's with to see if I can get a little more use out of before I send the batteries off to be rebuilt, and the Ryobi 14" metal chop saw with and extra blade! So here is a picture of this weekend's haul:dscn2949 Dad's loot.jpg
And here are some pictures of the stones:dscn2947 stones.jpgdscn2948 stones.jpg This is one LOML made when we were visiting one time dscn2946 IS stone.jpg And one my Mom had made for us: dscn2945 stones.jpg I'm worn out and sore. Unloaded all this stuff right before noon. Trying to cool off now then sit down and watch the Rangers/Blue Jays game at 12:30. Hope everyone is having a safe and restful weekend! Jim.

Jim, kick your feet up and rest. You and your wife deserve it.
When my paternal Grandmother went to an assisted living area, she loved it. She was a card player and all of her friends like her were not able to drive so a game hadn't been played for years. She was very happy. I hope the same for your folks.

Jim,
Some of those assisted living facilities are really nice... My mom lived in one in Corsicana for a short time... but she wasn't happy that it was multi-storied and she was on 8th floor... she liked to be able to go outside and sit on her porch and such... think if it had had a balcony she might have liked it better... in the end she moved back to her home town where she knew more people and such, then re-married an old neighbor from when she and my dad were young... he was an exceptional fellow and knowing his days were number he paid for a house for her in town (he had acreage outside of town where they lived until he died)... she stayed there until her health reached a point where it was too much for my sister to handle driving from Corsicana down to Teague... so she moved back to Corsicana to a facility...until she passed.....

My step mother (Dad's wife) at 97 is still in an assisted living facility in Corsicana and loves it. She doesn't cook or use her kitchenette, but the facility has a fabulous dining area for all the residents.

I've already told all my kids (all one of them) that as soon as I can't do for myself he's to find a place for me... even if they just hang me on a nail on the wall... I commend your folks that they knew when it was time for them.

I love those stones. What are they, like stained glass pieces set into a concrete circle? Very creative and looks like a lot of fun. :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah, my parents already have it set up so when they get to the point where they need nursing home help, it is ready to go. Smart people I have as parents!!!
The stones are made by placing cut pieces of glass or tile within the confines of the size of the form you will use, round or square. Then you put a piece of sticky paper, like shelf paper over it and press onto the pieces so that they hold their positions. Then it is flipped over, the form is put onto it, and a concrete slurry is added with, I'm guessing here, a vibrator to keep the air pockets down, and allowed to cure. Take out of the form and clean up and you have an artistic stepping stone. Mom had a blast making them. A fellow resident there at the lake where they lived got her to making them. You could use a tile or glass cutter and nippers to get the shapes you wanted. At one point before the started giving them away, I think Dad said he counted about 85. I think there are still 4 to 6 of them there. If they are still there they next trip up, we may go ahead and grab them. Thanks for the comments! Jim.

Last edited: