Oak Bowl

Here is a oak bowl I just completed. It is 9" across and 3 3/4" deep. I tried a new approach to finishing. After I sanded it to completion I used 220 and 320 grit dipped in antique oil. I sanded with each grit wiping with shavings after each. It really gave me a smooth surface and when dry it had filled the pores in. I have a second coat on the inside and 3 coats on the outside. The LOML said that was her new popcorn bowl so what can I say.

Attachments

• Oak Bowl 1.jpg
    Oak Bowl 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Oak bowl 2.jpg
    Oak bowl 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Oak Bowl 3.jpg
    Oak Bowl 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
Bernie that is fantastic!
I hope someday to be able to make a set of that type of bowl for chips or popcorn. The shine on it is amazing. Great job and good for your wife on seeing that great piece and keeping it! Don't forget to sign it so someday someone can say, "that was Grandma's bowl and Grandpa made it on his lathe!".

Hey Bernie,
Not trying to steal your thunder... your bowl looks like a red oak... I have one I did, not quite a large as yours... I like your finish technique... need to try that on my next oak bowl... this one still shows some of the open pore in the wood... I got this wood from a local farmer that was clearing the road just up from me... the tree was on a slope just above the road and fell after a heavy rain... blocked the road and the farmer was cutting it up and throwing the wood into the ditch... had him throw a couple of logs in my truck... he thought I was nuts... he said "it's old red oak, ain't worth nothing"..:D

Attachments

• 10-723-2.JPG
    10-723-2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 10-723.JPG
    10-723.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 10-723-4.JPG
    10-723-4.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
Chuck that is a beauty. I have turned a few oak bowls and always had problems with the pores. So decided to try a new technique. I just finished the last piece of oak and used the same method. It works pretty slick and gives a right nice surface.