*Review* Critter Spray Gun

Dom DiCara

One of the worst things that I had to clean lately was my HVLP spray gun. I have 4 of them, all different sizes. Even though I am very happy with the results, whether I spray Paint, Stain, urethane, or Lacquer, I really never had any issues with the gun...(and I own 4 Harbor Freight inexpensive models) My big issue was cleaning....the filter,container, trigger assembly, etc, etc.

I read some great reviews on the Critter sprayer. They are very easy to clean, only 2 parts, and gave a nice even coat. Another of the benefits was the fact the it works at a VERY low PSI.....around 23 psi. So my little Bostich 6 gallon compressor was not turning on and off all the time. It took a long time before my compressor kicked in again so I got to enjoy spraying. instead of listening to my compressor cycle.

Another great feature is that it uses standard Mason jars. I picked up a case of the for 10 dollars, along with some paper gaskets at The Oak hill Flea Market. No more need to dump what is left in a gallon container, just put a mason jar lid on it, get a piece of masking tape on the outside, label it, and put it on a shelf. I want to pick up some cork gaskets for it, as I think they will last longer.

Adjustment to air are done at the compressor, adjustments to volume of product is done by screwing the nozzle up or down. The unit works on a low pressure system. As air is leaving the unit, an area of low pressure is formed and the product mixes with the air and is delivered.

For cleaning I used some mineral spirits in another mason jar, swished it around a little and sprayed a few times. That cleans out the tube and nozzle. Wiped the nozzle off and you are done......took about 5 minutes to clean the gun!!!!!:thumb: I can't stress the ease of cleaning enough here folks....it is amazingly simple. Period

The first test was with some standard cherry stain. The further the gun is away from the wood, the wider the pattern. The widest I could get with it was about 6 inches, which is plenty for most projects. I was working on some deck boards and a hatchway cover for a sail boat, and the results were very good.

Next test was something with more viscosity, Minwax Helmsman urethane. It sprayed it with no spitting, or lines at all. Very comparable to the HVLP gun.

Once I got the new parts for the sailboat done, I moved out back to try regular latex paint. I thinned it down with a little Flowatrol, just a little.....and WOW!!....it handled the job with no problems at all. No over spray at all.

This is not a gun to spray your house or anything large, but for most furniture or Lathe projects...it would be a huge benefit to have one in the shop.

As for the downfalls....

You cannot adjust the spray pattern, vertical or horizontal, like an HVLP.
That is about all I could find wrong with it.

So we have a sprayer that works very well, uses VERY little air, cleanup is a breeze,storage of leftover product is built in, and the price of the unit is very cheap. I could not ask for anything else in a spray gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Critter-Spray...FRPJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311613642&sr=8-1

All for under $40

Attachments

• 41FJ9PVJ1CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41FJ9PVJ1CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 18
Sorry Dom - missed this first time around.

I checked out your review and then looked at the reviews on Amazon. Seems a lot of others agree with you.

I put this on my wish list. Thanks.

I've never sprayed before but I have got some great encouragement to do so from several members. I have 3 HF guns that I'm aching to try.

I'll look into the gun you are talking about too :thumb:

I've been looking at paint sprayers. I need one to help me paint my new shed....however this one looks a little to small for a project like that. This does sound good for the smaller jobs.

I've been looking at paint sprayers. I need one to help me paint my new shed....however this one looks a little to small for a project like that. This does sound good for the smaller jobs.

Used it on the 6 foot dresser I use as an avatar.....no problems

I have one. I use it for refinishing antique radio cabinets (lacquer). I like it. I haven't had my automotive gun out since I bought the Critter.

John

John,

Do you use just the standard canning jar lids when you store left over finish? I am thinking that lacquer products might do number on the gaskets around those standard lids.

Thanks
Jack

John,

Do you use just the standard canning jar lids when you store left over finish? I am thinking that lacquer products might do number on the gaskets around those standard lids.

Thanks
Jack

Picked up some cork gaskets that work well at Michaels

Good review Dom, thanks for posting it.

Have you used it with shellac? What were you painting with the latex? How did you judge how much to thin latex?

Good review Dom, thanks for posting it.

Have you used it with shellac? What were you painting with the latex? How did you judge how much to thin latex?

I've sprayed latex with FT, poly, and tried stain, but did not like the way the stain sprayed